The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realistically - Our cars will always be slower than the modified Corvettes in the straights.

My cousin doing a 3rd gear pull in his Twin Turbo Corvette. If there were some bends this would have been a different story. lol.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
If you are talking about a Z06 it defies Chapman's theory, the Vette is faster on both!! Now, put that twin against Frank's car and he will send a post card when he reaches his home state of NY...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
you are talking about a stock car and modified car. I am sure there is a Elise that is faster
if given the right mods.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
4 cylinders vs. 8 cylinders with twin turbos in the straights....the Vette will be faster 99% of the time. I would have said always, but always is such an extreme word. I had an '07 Z06 and I now drive an Elise, go figure.

vincesf

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
2006-2008 dry sump Z06's (LS7) regularly blow up when they hit a track for HPDE type events ... oil pressure issues and too small an oil tank for the dry sump. I believe GM attempted to address the problem in 2009+ with larger oil tank, but as I understand it that wasn't the cure. The LS9 got an upgraded dry-sump pump and integrated oil cooler and updated oil squirters, but they also have scavenging issues.

So to any potential buyer who plans to go the GM route and will drive it hard on the track with good rubber, look into oiling solutions beyond the dry sump GM provide.

Otherwise the LS7 and LS9 are good packages, and for street use they work well "as is".

Chapman and an LS are worlds apart and certainly not something Chapman would build. Heck, the current Elise, Exige, Evora are not cars Chapman would approve ... he would never "mount" and engine for the sake of comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I'm not sure I get this: a twin turbo Corvette will always be faster than an Elise or Exige on the straights.:shrug:

My old ML63 weighed 5400 lbs. It was faster than my Elise on the straights. :shrug:

A turbo 911 will always be faster than a NA 911. :shrug:

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,614 Posts
I would go for the best of both worlds. A C6 Grand Sport as a daily driver (big, comfy LazyBoy heated seats, available automatic transmission, excellent luggage capacity, decent stereo, cruise control, HUD, nice and quiet inside and good performance for around town) and an Exige for the weekends/mountains/track.

·
Registered
663 Posts
BOE400 superchareger kit (or similar) I am sure would greatly close that gap between the turbo vette & Lotus. Probably still loose but not nearly as mutch, twin turbo vette's can make Veyron power

I would think even my saab would pull a stock elise/exige above 60 mph... 300+ wtq has it's advantages.... but like the vette driver.... I can't say I am in a Lotus :(

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
comparing these two cars is as good as the question "whad it got on the dash"

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
This whole vette thing has me thinking.

I've been critical of them before. Not the car, but the owners.

As Lotus guys, we are trained to say 'twisties' and 'power to weight' and 'lightweight' as a reply to everything.

I just had a bit of an epiphany. Whereas I LOVE LOVE LOVE the feel of our little plastic cars and the driving experience, I can also appreciate pure straight line speed. I know we don't have much oppty to use that, but...

My car is getting detailed right now. The shop that does it are 'tuner' guys that track like crazy. One guy has a modified Evo and the brother has a pimped out M5. The Evo brother just drove me to my office.

His car is modified with a stroker, etc and he claims 600 at the wheels. He did a full on blast acceleration from a red light. OH MY! I literally snapped my neck back. It was crazy fast. I can see why guys are excited by straight line/acceleration/HP. When you can combine it with performance, it's a beautiful thing.

Right or wrong, Corvettes are probably the best value for money of any sports car on the road (save for maybe a used GTR). I don't think I've ever buy one but I have to give props where props are due.

·
Registered
668 Posts
man only if we can make ours straight line and corners to be fast.. i need to see who has one of these superchargers.. i want to feel the power in this lotus.. straight line. :) but i guess no matter what supercharger we have on this car.. 0-60 will be good.. 60-120mph will uhhmm suck :(

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
comparing these two cars is as good as the question "whad it got on the dash"
They really dont compare - way too many things different about them. To me, the Vette compares more with the Viper, Camaros, Challengers, other big V8s. The Elise compares with other mid engine, smaller, sporty coupes. Like The Porsche Cayman and cars like that.

Just a totally different ball game, IMO.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've been critical of them before. Not the car, but the owners.

Right or wrong, Corvettes are probably the best value for money of any sports car on the road (save for maybe a used GTR). I don't think I've ever buy one but I have to give props where props are due.
Dead on, Swingie. Vettes have always been the best bang for the buck. I remember the Car and Driver magazines where they'd have 3-4 cars compared in road test summaries with the bar graphs and charts. maybe some of you guys do too? :D

I remember always seeing the Vettes "bars" the shortest for price(meaning lowest), the shortest for acceleration times(meaning least time needed to reach 60mph), and very often #1 or #2 in roadholding & top speed. They always bested the Italian and English cars when pure numbers were involved.

Its all the other intangibles where they get pushed way down.

That being said, in 1987, my Esprit HCi killed the '87 Vette in straight line and just about everything else. But that was not the norm back then :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
This weekend we (the Nashville Road Rally group) pulled into Rock City, just outside of Chattanooga to check out the view. There was a group of 6-8 really nice Corvette's sitting in the parking lot. We we walked by one of the group asked 'who owns the Louts'. After my reply he asked me if I wanted to race :rolleyes: My reply: "If were racing from here, sure, lets go!:evil: If you want to find some interstate somewhere, not a chance. You would eat me alive".

Then entire group theirs and mine, got a good laugh and we hung out and checked out each others rides for a while. Great group, awesome rides, completely different vehicles....

BTW: any one wan to buy an 80 Corvette Coupe? I've got one that's been sitting in my driveway for a few months not getting any use ;)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I actually had a guy pull up next to me at a light in a yellow ZR1. He even had the yellow Oakley sunglasses to match (I'm thinking he had them custom painted).

Anyway, he gives me the rev rev rev 'let's race'.

I laughed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I will put it this way, my 'vette sat since the day I got my Elise. I sold the 'Vette about a month ago. I still have the Elise.
+1

I had a 600+ hp C6 corvette. The operative word is HAD. Sold it, but kept the Elise. It's just more fun. Not to say that high 10 second 1/4 miles at the drag strip weren't fun.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
+1

I had a 600+ hp C6 corvette. The operative word is HAD. Sold it, but kept the Elise. It's just more fun. Not to say that high 10 second 1/4 miles at the drag strip weren't fun.
Phil I want a 10 second car, I need NOS, I need NOS!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
my Esprit HCi killed the '87 Vette in straight line and just about everything else. But that was not the norm back then :)
Hey what about the 87 930 :)?

Anyways, twin turbo vettes are faster than 4 cyl loti. Also water is wet and the sky is blue.

Stock for stock and mod for mod vettes will always be faster in a straight line. Probably pretty damn close in the turns as well....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts