The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhhhhhhhh! I am so mad right now I could cry:(

I decided to take a long drive today to Jerome AZ and to make a long story short, hit a pothole at 5 miles an hour that was about 8 inches wide and 4 inches deep. I didn't notice it in the ground and then heard a bang! I scream F*&#$^K and get out to inspect the car. I take a look at the bumper and underneath on the drivers side is a nice 8-12 inch long crack!!!!

Now I have a dilemma, do I call my insurance company and have them fix it and pay the deductible or eat it out of my pocket. I am thinking the damage would cost:

1100 for a new bumper (Not sure if anyone would fix this bumper since its ABS)

300 labor to remove and install

400 for paint

300 for replacing star Guard.

I am thinking 2000.00 to 2500.00.

I am so pissed I can't even tell you. I don't want to pay for this out of pocket at all. I talked to Geico and they said they will cover it in full however I am leary to go this route since what happens if it gets reported to CarFax. This is so Minor i don't think it would but anyone have exp with this? I would hate to run a car fax and see a Accident reported on there. I will take a pic here shortly.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Had a minor tap event with mine that left a crack on top portion. It was easily repaired to a point where paint on whiole front of car is BETTER than new after buffing. Cost me ~850 with tax. If its a $500 deductible I'd just fix it. Will replace Starshield after paint cures ~200

·
Registered
545 Posts
ABS is so easy to repair, my bumper was broken on both sides and in the middle, even parts were broken out, less than $1,000.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really! That is good news then :) Do they have to remove the bumper in order to repair it? If so then I may remove it myself and bring just the bumper in this way I don't have to leave my car at the shop.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I know what it is like to lose the car for near 120 days. Be glad you hit something and a drunk didn't hit you (like the lovely lady that hit me).

Keep smiling and :shift:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck Crow.

Was this before or after 89A? Hopefully after so you got to enjoy that road?

I had similar bad luck on my first trip up to Jerome. Hit a branch about 12"x3" as I was changing lanes to get onto I-17 from I-10. In the middle of Phoenix! Go figure. Made a noise akin to the same booming noise I heard in a head on collision I was in as a kid.

Luckily I somehow got away with no damage, it hit the undertray causing the loud noise.

Good luck with your repairs!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your lucky you escaped with no damage :)

The drive there was awesome. I was doing pretty much 90-115 the entire way down I-17 towards cottonwood. Its really a great drive :) Thank god I avoided most cops with my Radar. I hit that pothole in jerome right on the street where the Haunted Hotel is. So take my warning if you ever go back don't take your Evora anywhere near it! Its an old stone road with a ton of pot holes.

Went to the body shop today and my body guy is gonna fix the bumper for 450.00. Not bad. The only catch is I am gonna remove the bumper myself and bring it to him. I actually prefer it that way since I don't like to keep my car out of sight for more than 5 mins. I am looking at the service manual and it doesn't look to bad removing the bumper. The only pain in the ass part is gonna be to remove that emblem off the hood to get to the bolt. Anyone removed this bumper before. Any advice?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Really! That is good news then :) Do they have to remove the bumper in order to repair it? If so then I may remove it myself and bring just the bumper in this way I don't have to leave my car at the shop.
Dunno, I left mine with the garage and a week later the job was done. Believe the had to remove the bumper...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your lucky you escaped with no damage :)

The drive there was awesome. I was doing pretty much 90-115 the entire way down I-17 towards cottonwood. Its really a great drive :) Thank god I avoided most cops with my Radar. I hit that pothole in jerome right on the street where the Haunted Hotel is. So take my warning if you ever go back don't take your Evora anywhere near it! Its an old stone road with a ton of pot holes.

Went to the body shop today and my body guy is gonna fix the bumper for 450.00. Not bad. The only catch is I am gonna remove the bumper myself and bring it to him. I actually prefer it that way since I don't like to keep my car out of sight for more than 5 mins. I am looking at the service manual and it doesn't look to bad removing the bumper. The only pain in the ass part is gonna be to remove that emblem off the hood to get to the bolt. Anyone removed this bumper before. Any advice?

Search this thread. front-clam-removal-101722/

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Yes bumper is removed. I had a chip above Left A pillar from new that was also repaired flawlessly and they did a beautiful job buffing out the watermarks from spending so much neglected time outside.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi all - need some advice.

I had a low-speed collision with one of these:

Hairy-nosed wombat

And now have a damaged left-lower bumper. Believe me, the damage is minor considering how large & dense (literally!) these wombats are. I was on wombat lookout in 2nd gear & after hitting the brakes probably slowed to 15-20km/h on impact. Wombat was fine.

Anyway, I would like to pop the bumper off & have a good look at what's going on. I'll likely patch it up with race-tape until I decide what to do next (insurance or not, etc).

Do I need to remove the front clam to remove the bumper? There's a great thread here on clam removal:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/gap-adjustments-front-clam-removal-101722/

But it specifically says:

"...The clamshell with front access panel may be removed whilst leaving the front bumper in position..."

Does this mean I can remove the bumper *without* removing the clam? If so, anyone got any instructions? :D

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
No. From what I can see the clam is secured to the bumper. You'll need to remove the clam from the bumper first to remove the bumper--and in order to do that you'd have to follow the instructions to lift the clam. You could probably leave it loose on the car but it's just going to be in the way when trying to remove and reinstall the bumper.

Anyway, sorry to hear this happened.. Good luck. I hope there's no frame damage underneath.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ok - cool. Removing the clam doesn't worry me - I've removed a clam on an Elise before & it had some issues with windscreen bonding I had to deal with. Not hard if you take your time.

I'll learn a lot when I do it I suppose!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Honestly guys, I'm suprised more of you don't have a front splitter/protector on your Evoras. I know that it's pretty much built into the front end design of the body, but like in silvercrow's case it would have prevented the damage.

I saw several pix of Evoras on this forum with a splitter that barely protruded 2-3" but would be enough to protect against a lot of this type of damage. I'm not sure if those are the ones that Bobsy Racer made, but he's no longer making them.

As soon as I get my Evora ordered I'll be looking for a splitter. I'm not going to make the same mistake I made with my Elise and wait for the damage to happen first. Glad to hear that you can get it fixed for a reasonable price, silvercrow.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The splitter protector isn't made anymore either.....

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Unfortunately that splitter failed at high speeds
I reinforced my splitter protector per Bobsy's instruction( larger washers and adhesive ) and now it is super stable. Too bad Bobsy is not making them any longer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts