The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
Buy a few cans of PlastiDip and see how it looks. If you don't like it you can peel it off.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Personally, I think that done right, a gunmetal powdercoat might look pretty trick. Could be a nice touch, especially if you are looking to set your car apart from all the others with a slightly custom look.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, but if it were me, I would really take the time to find the perfect shade of gunmetal. A dark gunmetal sounds mean and appealing at first, but depending on the color of the car, it can also look like a regular silver finish that is dirty and coated with brake dust. Certainly not the effect one wants for their Esprit.

I wish I could remember which thread it was, but last week, there was a picture on this forum of a row of Esprits from a car show...someone commented about how one of the owners needs to learn to clean his wheels before attending such an event. It was later posted that the owner of that particular car had actually powdercoated/painted his wheels to a darker grey than the factory silver of the Novas.

Anyway, something to keep in mind.

Let us know how it goes and would love to see a pic when you're done :)

Roy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I think that done right, a gunmetal powdercoat might look pretty trick. Could be a nice touch, especially if you are looking to set your car apart from all the others with a slightly custom look.

QUOTE]

Maybe what i need to do is to adobe the picture & the wheels with
gunmetal .At least I have a pretty good idea how it looks.
In this picture, I painted my rear light conversion with black and the yellow color really stand up. All i need now is to powder coat the wheels with gunmetal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Just my and my $0.02

I too have a set of Nova wheels and as long as they are in great to excellent condition I would not do anything permanent to them. Unlike the Esprit those wheels are actually holding and at least for a while now INCREASING in value...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just my and my $0.02

I too have a set of Nova wheels and as long as they are in great to excellent condition I would not do anything permanent to them. Unlike the Esprit those wheels are actually holding and at least for a while now INCREASING in value...

Just my $0.02
While I'm glad you said that......that's another consideration why I'm hesitating.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Yellow with the darker Sport 350 magnesium wheels.

Yellow with dark AWI wheels

Yellow with gunmetal Saturn wheels

IMO powdercoating is an expensive and time consuming option, fraught with problems if they don't do it correctly...

If you aren't sure, then Plastidip to see what you think, and if you don't like it, then rip it off.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Just looked up, Vantage Gold looks awesome!

I may try that!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It is my humble opinion and it is an opinion only, I think the wheels look great as is I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hadn't realized you were going with the black rear tail panel and the black lower rear valance...in that case, I'm starting to wonder if a black wheel treament might be a little more cohesive in pulling the look together. That way, you'll have two colors instead of three. In nature, yellow and black is a deadly color combination.

Gunmetal might still look really good though. Not sure if that rear tail panel is actually painted or just photoshopped black. If it is still yellow, I was thinking that another alternative would be to leave it yellow then go gunmetal on the wheels and gunmetal on the lower rear valance. That might be a pretty cool and unique look too.

I'd definitely experiment with the photo software first before committing any $$$. :)

Although originality is great, I wouldn't worry too much about refinishing them...if you ever tire of the look or decide to sell them, they can always easily be refinished back to a flawless original finish. And as a guy who has a car that Lotus made from the factory with pearl white wheels (discoloration over the years is inevitable), I speak from experience...LOL I had mine refinished a few years ago...better than new now. :)

Roy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
PS while I really like the lower valance black, I am not sure about the tail light panel so if it is Photo shop then please don't do the black for the lights.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rear light conversion is black (its real). The original stock rear light was black anyway. That's the reason why I painted it black too.

Here is a photoshop of gunmetal wheels. I like a little darker but I can't find the color I want.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.