The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve (offrdr) is selling his wheels/tires to me (I hope) anyone here tell me a reputable company in the Atlanta area that could powdercoat them black for me????

THanks
Chris

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm interested in this also. I was wondering how much it would cost to have the LSS wheels, difuser, and gas cap done up there. If it's cheaper than Miami I'd probably have it done there. How long does it take to powder coat things, from taking it off the car till it's put back on?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
These guys cryo a lot of brake rotors. And get this people send golf balls to them to be cryo treated, they claim they get much better distance??? I have seen wheels there call them they may be able to quote wheels over the phone. They have a blast booth and powder coat booth big enough to do entire car chassis and bodies, it's a very nice operation.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI All,
Got an email back from Lotus Engineering, the 8 spoke wheels are OK for powdercoating. Lotus has apparently done these wheels before with that technique, so no worries.
Chris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>They do look powdercoated, but the parts guy said painted????? Dunno. <<<

They could both be right....powder coating just uses a near 100 % solids approach that does not need thinners and solvents to carry it through the air to the object being coated. Other than that it basically is paint. Fewer color choices though. The stuff gets sprayed onto a part to which it adheres due to electostatic attraction as the part gets an electrical connector put on it to help with that. The powder itself looks like talcum powder and doesn't look at all like the final finish. It looks like dust from dry sanding something painted. When the powder reaches about 400 F it melts and flows a bit and then solidifies. After about 15 minutes the part gets to slowly cool down and then it is done. No primer is needed in many cases, and only one coat is required. Due to the adhesion and high solids content and lack of porosity for solvent to evaporate, it tends to be far tougher than most conventional paints, harder too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts