The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the pictures I've seen where the gas lid is powdercoated black show the screws still in aluminum.

Is this personal preference or is it possible to also powdercoat the screws black? I think that would look better.

Forgive me. I know nothing about powdercoating, so if this might be a dumb question.
Kev

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you powdercoat the screw, then decide to unscrew it, the powdercoat will probably come off. You could anodize the screws and that can tolerate screwing/unscrewing more.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
All the pictures I've seen where the gas lid is powdercoated black show the screws still in aluminum.

Is this personal preference or is it possible to also powdercoat the screws black? I think that would look better.

Forgive me. I know nothing about powdercoating, so if this might be a dumb question.
Kev
Yes, it is possible to powder coat the heads of the screws. Just make sure they know not to powder coat the threads on the screws and be careful when installing them so you don't chip off the coating with your screw driver.

As stated above, anodizing or a black oxide coating are easier to deal with when installing/removing the screws.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had my gas cap powdercoated and with it, the screws. In order to not fill up and therefore reduce the size of allen head hole, they temporarily filled the holes. When they took out whatever they used to fill the holes, it left a ragged edge around the allen head recess. In short, the screws altho the right color, looked crappier in powdercoated color than stainless version. I am guessing anodizing might work but I believe anodizing isn't terribly UV stable

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Paint them. Touch them up if/when you chip them backing out the screws.

NOBODY will know the difference between painting them, even with a model brush, and powder coating or anodizing. How close do you think people are going to get to look at them?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
anodizing "just the screws" would cost a pretty penny since its such a small batch. Just painting the screw tops yourself as described above seems the best option IMO.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I had the screw heads powdercoated black along with the door. I covered the screw heads with a ziploc bag when I fasten them. Turns out I didn't like the whole thing black, so I replaced it with the bare screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts