The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not that I'll be doing this anytime soon, but just wondering which one you guys think is better. Reason 2 plz. Thanks

P.S. I searched

Edit: Rims to be powdercoated or painted

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Which parts?

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rims sorry I forgot to say it

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Paint:
cheap, easy, quick, easier to repair. Used in many OEM applications.

Powdercoat:
more expensive, more durable, less easy to repair. Used in many OEM applications.

If either one needs repair- you probably curbed it or something so at that stage the point is kinda moot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Rattle can comes out nice but it doesn't hold up long term. Good quality auto paint applied professionally holds up surprisingly well. Powder coating withstands most punishment and holds up the longest in my experience. I have had all three done at one time or another.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have my gas cap and diffuser powder coated. Wheels are painted. I wanted everything powder coated, but at the time I had my wheels done I couldn't find a place to do it. Plus I couldn't drive around for a few weeks without wheels on. :) I was loaned a gas cap and diffuser during powdercoating, not sure if they had spare wheels.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Had my Volk TE37s powdercoated, and they are holding up great so far, with 18 months and 9500 miles on the clock. Just a few tiny scratches where I slipped removing lug bolts (doh!).

·
Registered
344 Posts
What about the Brake Calipers? I assume Powder Coating is still the best option?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
What about the Brake Calipers? I assume Powder Coating is still the best option?
To powder coat the calipers, they must be taken apart with the seals,pistons, etc... all removed from the caliper.

BTW, nice signature. Check out my profile picture for a good laugh :crazyeyes

·
Registered
344 Posts
To powder coat the calipers, they must be taken apart with the seals,pistons, etc... all removed from the caliper.

BTW, nice signature. Check out my profile picture for a good laugh :crazyeyes
LOL. Very nice pic.

I was gonna look into having someone powdercoat them. I assume that you are only bringinng these up as extra steps, not a detrimental effect of powdercoating, correct?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
LOL. Very nice pic.

I was gonna look into having someone powdercoat them. I assume that you are only bringinng these up as extra steps, not a detrimental effect of powdercoating, correct?
If you powdercoat anything, they need to be baked in the oven at a few hundred degrees to cure. Probably not a good idea to have the rubber dust boots/piston seals exposed to oven like temperatures. If you don't feel like taking your entire caliper apart, you can paint the caliper yourself without taking the caliper apart and using masking tape in appropriate places.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts