The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I searched and couldn't find anything that tells me how to fix my window.
I was at AutoX today, pulled up to the timer and tried to roll down my window. It moves 1/2", then "clunks" to a stop. I can raise it back the 1/2" and lower it 1/2", but this is all. It seems like something is off track.

I guess I'll have to pull the panel off the door to check it tomorrow, but anyone have any help to offer here. I'm out of warranty and would like to fix it myself if it's doable.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Chris. If there is a post somewhere around that has the way to fix this easily, can someone point me to it? I just couldn't find it, but my search function is always broken.

Steve
EDIt: you posted the link while I was writing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link, but my problem is my window won't roll down. It's stuck in the full up position and will only roll down 1/2" before it clunks. I also have power windows.

Thanks again for any help.

Steve

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Might still be one of those screws. But since you're stuck in the up position, you won't be able to get to them through the weather stripping as the other threads might suggest. Pull the panel off and have a look.

xtn

·
Registered
'06 Exige
37 Posts
Same thing happened to me. We had to pull off the door panel and release the window from the lift mechanism so it could drop down to get access to the window rail screws. That fixed it. From what I remember, it was only a couple of screws that held the metal cradle to the lift mechanism.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awman, or anyone else: Any better description you can provide? I was at AutoX all weekend, and work today. Probably won't get to it till the weekend. But once I get the door panel off, what am I looking for? What does "release the window from the lift mechanism" and "access to the window rail screws"
mean? I'm not really sure I know how to do these.

Again, thanks for all of the help with this.

Steve

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The screws described as "window rail screws" are the ones that mount the front and rear guide-rails (tracks) to the door itself. The front and rear window edges slide up and down in these guide-rails. If the screw(s) mounting either of those rails backs out a little bit, it will get in the way of the window.

The suspect ones are near the top of the guide-rails, so if your window is binding in the up position, you won't be able to get a screwdriver on them. You'll have to dismount the glass from it's lifting mechanism, check and tighten those screws, then remount the glass.

xtn

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The screws described as "window rail screws" are the ones that mount the front and rear guide-rails (tracks) to the door itself. The front and rear window edges slide up and down in these guide-rails. If the screw(s) mounting either of those rails backs out a little bit, it will get in the way of the window.

The suspect ones are near the top of the guide-rails, so if your window is binding in the up position, you won't be able to get a screwdriver on them. You'll have to dismount the glass from it's lifting mechanism, check and tighten those screws, then remount the glass.

xtn
OK, so I took the door apart today to see if I could figure this out. The window is bound all the way up. I'm not really sure how to even get the window off the lifting mechanism. It looks like there are 4 bolts holding it in place and only 3 are really accessible. Other than the dealer (which is an hour drive away), any idea who would be able to fix this.

Would a glass repair place have the knowledge or is this car so different from others that it wouldn't be worth the risk? As long as they don't have to put it on a lift, huh? I'm pretty close to Forcedfed, anyone there know of anyone who can fix a stuck window? And while they're at it, can someone unstick the door lock button on the other door that won't go up or down with the alarm anymore.

Who said owning a Lotus was easy!

Steve

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would highly recommend downloading the service manual from lotustechinfo.com as it has all of the information you need.

There are five bolts that you'll need to remove to get the glass free. 2 on the lift mechanism to adaptor plate, and 3 on the adaptor plate to door glass stud plate.

You also may have to remove the door waist seal before you free the glass. Prise the one-piece seal off the door shell inner and outer flanges, and release the push fixing from the seal moulding at the rear end of the door.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would highly recommend downloading the service manual from lotustechinfo.com as it has all of the information you need.

There are five bolts that you'll need to remove to get the glass free. 2 on the lift mechanism to adaptor plate, and 3 on the adaptor plate to door glass stud plate.

You also may have to remove the door waist seal before you free the glass. Prise the one-piece seal off the door shell inner and outer flanges, and release the push fixing from the seal moulding at the rear end of the door.
Yes, I do have the manual. But once I took the door apart, actually getting the nuts off and the glass free is easier said than done. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but this was more than I wanted to tackle once I got into the door.

So now my question is who should I call short of the dealer to fix this? Would a company that replaces auto glass be capable of fixing this or would they just mess up my car? I have a mechanic nearby who works on Lotus and Alfa cars, but he does general mechanic stuff, but should I just call him for a window issue, too? Rob, Dietsch Works, could probably fix this in 10 minutes, but it's a long drive down there, too.

I'd love a local solution if there is one.

Steve

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so a couple of months later, it's now roof off season. Took the car to see Rob at Dietsch Werks in Santa Clara yesterday and he fixed it. Also fixed my door lock on the passenger side that wasn't working either.

It took him a good hour to get the thing apart and back together again, and now I know where those stupid screws are so I can tighten them periodically. Rob is a magician with the car. I had taken the door apart and tried to fix it myself, but just watching Rob try to get the window back into the guides make me glad I didn't take it out of the guide myself.

If you haven't tightened the screws in the door that hold this guide - better do it. If you need help with your Lotus and live anywhere in the SF Bay Area, call Rob. He was great to work with. Based on all the Lotus stuff I saw in his garage, I'll bet he works on more of them than anyone else around.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts