The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug:

Oregon Police Officer Busted for Arresting Sober Motorists for DUI

Oregon Officer had a high DUI arrest record before resigning after an investigation.

Police Officer Dave Cox made 27 of the 35 total DUI arrests in Corvallis, Oregon during the month of May 2007, and he was named DUII Enforcement Officer of the Year four years ago. It now seems that a performance oriented system lead Cox to arrest of sober motorists, including as many as 6 last May.

On May 11, David E. Picray drove to a bar to pick-up his wife and friends. Through a text message he learned the group had moved to another bar a block away. Picray drove closer to the second bar, and the short distance moved aroused the suspicion of Officer Dave Cox.

Cox wrote in his drunk driving arrest report that Picray’s eyes were bloodshot and watery and that his tongue had a light green coating. Picray had been suffering from a cold and was chewing gum. Picray registered a 0.00% blood alcohol content on a Breathalyzer, and a drug test revealed only trace amounts of codeine from cold medicine.

Picray notified the City of Corvallis of his intent to sue for false arrest, which lead to an investigation of Officer Cox. It was discovered that at least six of 27 motorists arrested by Cox for Oregon DUI last May registered BAC levels below the legal limit of 0.08% and drug tests were negative. Nonetheless, the majority of the arrest reports from May contained nearly identical notations of "bloodshot and glassy eyes" and other alleged indicators of intoxication.

Oregon DUI defense attorneys claim it is a common practice to write an arrest report to reflect what the officer should have seen in order to substantiate the arrest. The larger concern is that police officers have learned that pay reviews and awards can be influenced by performance; the higher the number of arrests, the greater the potential for reward. Unfortunately this system places economics as a higher motive for issuing traffic citations than highway safety.

Officer Cox was placed on paid leave and he subsequently resigned. Picray was not charged with an Oregon DUI, though the arrest will remain on his record.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm sure this goes on in other places besides Corvallis, Oregon. I cannot believe it will not be expunged from his record even though he was not charged.

However, here in AZ they have a charge called "driving impaired to the slightest degree". If you are caught with anything in your system - even the trace amounts of codeine form prescription cold medicine- you can be charged. So if a cop has it it for you - you are going "downtown". I am no proponent of drunk driving- but common sense should dictate.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Could be worse. Like in Silverton Oregon with the murdering, molester cop.

Silverton cop denied bail on sex charges - Breaking News Updates from Portland and Oregon - The Oregonian - OregonLive.com

230 lb ex-marine cage wrestler cop shoots a Pee-Wee Herman look alike seven times, once in the back.

Type "Cop" into Google video and all you get is a stream of abuse vids. When the internet moves to forced registration and completely screened and controlled content (like TV) it will be even worse.

Cop gone wild- Lying and making threats just part of his job

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe in that 1st case the arrest cannot be taken from the guys record. Hope he got a decent pay day...at MY expense however!

·
Registered
351 Posts
rotflrotfl

·
shay2nak
25,044 Posts
idiot...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts