The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I went to my first power lunch today at Proformance. As you know it cost's about $125. I was able to get 26 rain laps. A full hour on the track with only 2 other cars. While I did take it easy, given the weather, I must say this is a great deal and I'll do it again in the future. Tomorrow actually. With almost no traffic on the course, I was constantly at a speed I wanted to be at. Every single lap was completely unaffected by the other couple drivers.

I can't stress enough how great it was to not be held up in a run group that is a "little" slower than my pace or feel pushed, by a run group that is a "little faster than my pace. I was able to completely focus on my weak areas every lap. I never once had to slow down below pace. Each laps I was able to concentrate on putting the car where I wanted it. The number of reference points I picked up was immense compared to normal track days.

Also, today was a rain day, so I was able to work on car control on AO48's at 45 degrees in the wet. Aside from taking a different line (the rain line), I dialed back the throttle but kept my same "geographic" shift points. I did this by short shifting at the cam change.

fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow. Yes, it snowed and hailed about 30 minutes before I started my run. I was not very happy at that point. Pretty happy now.

In short, make sure you try out a power lunch before you totally decide it isn't worth the trip down "just for an hour of track time". It was some of the most productive, stress free, open track time I have had. Only thing that compares is Spokane.

laters,

Bleu

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Nothing teaches like rain and a wet track.
:up:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I wish they did those lunch sessions down here in Portland!
I was out on PIR with Motocorsa today, and the weather was a mix between overcast and pouring rain - the kind where the entire track turned into one big puddle.
Very interesting and very educating at the same time.
I mentioned this before, but I just can't figure out why people on here make it sound like you're instantaneously going to die when you run a Lotus with AO48's in the rain. The car does just fine in the rain. Of course you need to cut back two or three notches, but other than that it's great in the rain.
Plus the learning curve is soo much steeper since everything happens quicker at a lower speed.
Anyhow, ... Too bad you didn't make it to PIR today, but it sounds like you still ad a lot of fun:shift:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be at PIR on Friday.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a second Power Lunch today. Perfect weather today, unlike yesterday. I have been really focusing on my driving lately. Visualization, track log book, simulator work(GT4:)) Track days and instructors.

Big improvements all around.

Today I had the entire track to myself. While I don't time my laps I do data log them, and that allows me to look back over the data later on. I made a couple simple adjustments and man did it make a difference! My data shows a MUCH more consistent line, very tight speed run-to-run, very similar lateral Gs and breaking points.

What a blast!

No spins, no off track events. Did I mention NO ONE on the track?

What a blast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts