The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, today I hopped into my rarely used 2011 Evora (35k miles) and noticed the complete loss of power steering.bi had the car returned to the garage.

The car was delivered to me by valet, so I couldn't look under the car for a fluid spot. I will ask the valet driver to check under my usual spot for fluid.

I have an ECU scan tool, I'll go back and run that tonight. (My CEL is always on because of my deleted O2's, so I didn't think to look if one was triggered)

What are some things to look for and check for? What are the potential problems here? Damaged hose? Need a replacement pump or replacement belt? How much do these issues cost per problem? Just looking for some ballpark prices, and difficulty (time offline) so I can set expectations.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
The belt that drives the power steering pump is the same serpentine that drives all the accessories; water pump, alternator, A/C compressor. Without power steering fluid, it should make a ton of noise when you try to turn the wheel in either direction, and be really difficult. You definitely don't want to drive it for long without PS fluid, as that could damage the steering rack.

First things first is to determine where your fluid has gone. It shouldn't be a consumable fluid, so if it's missing, there's likely a leak somewhere. It's also under pressure when the pump is functioning correctly, so if there is a leak, it usually sprays out all over the place if the leak is on the high side. If there're no leaks, and the belt is fine, then I would say the pump is shot.

MWR sells pumps for around $120. I think any PS pump for the 2GR-FE Camry would work. I have a new-in-box Toyota 44310-07040 that I didn't end up needing if you do end up needing one.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. No noise when turning, just very difficult. My preferred shop is about 5 miles away. I'll drive it there on Monday.

I guess worse case scenario is pump replacement? Any ideas on hours in labor?

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts

This is what Lotus estimates for the labor times.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you really don't have a fluid leak its possible that the piston seal inside the steering rack has failed so you are not getting any pressure assist but you also don't have a leak outside of the rack. I think if the hydraulic seals inside the rack cylinder fail then you would see fluid eventually although because of the undertray this may be happening and if/when fluid does appear outside of the car it will be coming from random places at the edge of the undertray. Worth downloading the service notes from VSI if you want to understand this better. The "B is for Botch :) " youtuber has a video about the steering rack if you want to see what everything looks like:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I loved watching every episode when he originally did that rebuild. I just watched again to better understand.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did this look like the correct pump?

I wanted to make sure to have the part on hand when the shop works on this tomorrow.

·
Registered
201 Posts
According to the parts cross reference sticky its Toyota 44310-07040 W-23 I would suggest looking for that-they can be got for around $300. If you want a good laugh you can look up the cost of the OE part- I have an Evora 400 and somehow the cost of the Toyota part gets inflated to $1700 if you buy from the dealer. Crooks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't seem to find a match on Amazon (for fast shipping and returns if necessary). I hate how they always put similar items in the search results.

Maybe if I search by the exact Camry model and year that has the 6 cyl... What range is that?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went under the car and there are some fresh drips under the front passenger side front end and I touched the underside of the car through the passenger wheel well and I was able to feel an oil substance. DIdnt look red like in the B is for Build video, looked like a clearish oil, but definitely an oil. My valet company moves my car around when they park it, so this wasnt necessarily the same parking spot that it sat in and poured out into.

So I guess I have a leak...?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just went under the car and there are some fresh drips under the front passenger side front end and I touched the underside of the car through the passenger wheel well and I was able to feel an oil substance. DIdnt look red like in the B is for Build video, looked like a clearish oil, but definitely an oil. My valet company moves my car around when they park it, so this wasnt necessarily the same parking spot that it sat in and poured out into.

So I guess I have a leak...?
You can check the fluid level (and perhaps see if the fluid matches) by opening the reservoir. Its in a relatively easy to access spot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would not buy any parts until you have had a good look under the car and taken the front undertray off. If you have a leak at the front then its likely to be the valve body or the rack itself. Although it starts out red/brown the power steering fluid can get lighter as it gets older. Also, because of the undertray, fluids that leak can come out a long way away from where the actual leak is.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,272 Posts
Wait, the Evora has power steering?

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,272 Posts
Yes, but at least its a pure hydraulic system and not electro mechanical.
Thats sounds heavier than electric and robs HP.

·
Registered
201 Posts
All true- and you can also add the need for all of the extra plumbing required for a mid engine car. I assume the main reason for is is to make the car easier to maneuver at low speed while preserving the "analog" feel of the car. At faster speeds and on the track the feedback is excellent. Mind you I don't think much of the electric steering on my Audi and Mercedes and I spent the weekend driving around in my old Triumph Spitfire where the "power steering" consists of a 15 inch diameter steering wheel..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
From the dealer (see quote below)...is there another option around this? Trying to determine if this is just dealership pricing or if these parts can be obtained reasonably priced, elsewhere? I imagine lines are unique to the Evora and not a Toyota part?

The power steering lines are leaking, we need both high and low side. They run $2,121.00 + tax

We need to also change the to lower side covers that we needed to cut to remove sized bolt. They run they are $528.00 (includes the $250 to remove and drill out bolts)

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,135 Posts
Perhaps an independent Lotus shop can give you a better price, 2k is crazy money.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts