The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tackled this project. Seems simple enough to add a power trunk release. I've read many posts which talk about people who have dropped their key in the trunk and I thought having a hidden button somewhere to pop the trunk might be a cool idea.

Has anyone done this. I searched and could not find a thread on this.

Thanks,
Jim

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
I've read those threads too & it always makes me wonder why so many people are lacking a have a 2nd key :shrug:

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Simple no.
I have been considering this project for some time. The problem is that on the Elise the lock mechanism is on the movable lid with a very restricted working area.
Michael
I was wondering if anyone has tackled this project. Seems simple enough to add a power trunk release. I've read many posts which talk about people who have dropped their key in the trunk and I thought having a hidden button somewhere to pop the trunk might be a cool idea.

Has anyone done this. I searched and could not find a thread on this.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Simple no.
I have been considering this project for some time. The problem is that on the Elise the lock mechanism is on the movable lid with a very restricted working area.
Michael
there are alot of very lightweight actuators... there is no need to use the old style heavy metal solenoid when you can use the small 1" actuators that are now available. You can also use a pull cable if you want to move the actuator completely out of the way...

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
there are alot of very lightweight actuators... there is no need to use the old style heavy metal solenoid when you can use the small 1" actuators that are now available. You can also use a pull cable if you want to move the actuator completely out of the way...
TheViper and I have looked into actuators from many different sources (industrial, automotive, RC, etc.) and we always find they won't work for some reason or another. Most are physically too large, do not have the correct stroke length, are the wrong voltage, are too weak or too powerful, are not heat rated for the temps in the engine compartment, are too expensive, or have other reasons they will not work. We even looked at using a remote actuator with a cable, but there is also the configuration of the present bracket and linkage to the latch that is difficult to address along with it being mounted to the engine lid. After examining all the potential possibilities, there is really no way to economically retrofit the present latch release assembly with an actuator unless extensive modifications to the original parts are done or a purpose built assembly is designed. We wanted to go with something simple and reliable that could be installed into the existing latch assembly, could be installed by the typical DIY guy using normal household tools, and would be relatively inexpensive to sell as a kit. In the end, the OEM design just does not allow for an easy installation/modification. I have an entire center spine from a trunk lid complete with the latch assembly still in it that I was using for mock ups just sitting here gathering dust, so I would be more than willing to take a look at it again if you have a source for actuators that we have not seen.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
tesprit,

Would you know if one can retrofit the Exige cabin trunk release system onto a Elise?

I looked at the Exige parts and it seems like I may have to do away with the Elise emergency trunk lever, attach a cable and run that all the way into the cabin. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Besides the difficulty of routing and securing the "bowden tube" between the cabin, through the bulkhead and across the hinged engine cover, the greatest problem would be mounting a pulley to redirect the emergency release motion though 180'. Remember, on the Exige the locking mechanism is on a stationary body section, while on the Elise it is on the movable engine lid.
Michael
tesprit,

Would you know if one can retrofit the Exige cabin trunk release system onto a Elise?

I looked at the Exige parts and it seems like I may have to do away with the Elise emergency trunk lever, attach a cable and run that all the way into the cabin. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
The new 2011 facelifted Elise has an in-cabin trunk release cable. We'll need tom get a look at how that works to see if it can be retrofitted. I'd do it if it were possible.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
So does the '11 Elise have battery terminals at the front of the car like the Exige for when the battery dies and you can't open the doors to pop the boot lid?

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Ah yes...it makes sense now. Thank you for the explanation! :)

Besides the difficulty of routing and securing the "bowden tube" between the cabin, through the bulkhead and across the hinged engine cover, the greatest problem would be mounting a pulley to redirect the emergency release motion though 180'. Remember, on the Exige the locking mechanism is on a stationary body section, while on the Elise it is on the movable engine lid.
Michael

·
purveyor of lightness
4,068 Posts

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,250 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts