The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake dust on the front wheels, especially from Performance Friction pads, is very hard to wash off the seven spoke wheels. Does anyone here use a power washer to get those babies clean? I've spent too many hours trying to clean wheels, and seek an easier and better way to do a good job. Is a 3000 psi washer the way to go, or would it do more harm than good?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I only ever use the power spray option on my standard $7 head that I bought from home depot. I spray them done, then wash them with the car wash I use, then I spray them with the same blast to rinse clean. I do that once a week when I wash my car. Work good for me. But then against I have stock brake pads.

·
Registered
532 Posts
you really dont want to use excessive pressure when doing your wheels. If you get too close with 3000 psi you could take the finish right off the wheel. Of course the brake dust would come off too.rotfl I just wash mine once a week and sometimes I just wipe then down. keeping the wheels waxed helps out a lot too.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use a power washer on all of my cars. Wheels, body...everything. Just make sure you are not using a super high pressure nozzle. I have never had a problem.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Yep, I use a 1600 lb electric on mine......BUT >>> I never get closer than about 8 inches from anything. I put my hand in front of the spray to initially judge how far away to stay. Been doing it for years now, and no problems. JUST don't get too close !

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I use wax/polish on the wheels - I would never use high pressure on any automotive surface. You may get away with it a few times but it will damage the finish over time.

I would highly reccommend a steam cleaner. It's low pressure and the heat and steam just help lift it right off. I'm talking about the portable ones you use around the house. You can buy them at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. These work fantastic on aluminum rims and brake dust. It's an old trick I have been using for a while combined with wax/polish.

The best polish I have found for the rims is Rejex. You could use Zaino too but I would rather save that for the body. Rejex provides a fantastic coating that allows water out of a hose to clean it off.

If you put a steam cleaner and use Rejex - it literally takes seconds to clean the wheels.

Keep in mind not all steam cleaners are created equal - some take a while before they are hot enough to use. Many have attachments too, but all you should really need is a long, flexible nozzle (nothing with a brush). Some are portable - some are plug in. Portables will last so long on a charge. Some hold more water than others. It's all a matter of preference.

Oh and also --- these are great for wheel wells and other hard to reach places.

·
Premium Member
12,193 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
One reason I went with the "black package" was that I hate cleaning the wheels. Since the brake dust is black and the wheels are black, I don't even bother rinsing them off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.