1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Maybe someone should tell LA to make sure he does a search before making those posts...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
He did say standard car. Lately it seems to have move over to the the touring package. If I recall correctly, the latest price I've seen on it was $1200 Vs $1000 earlier. Sounds like Lotus is getting hit a bit on the base price and trying to makeup for it on the options.

Opps- thought he said std, or did he change it?
Ok, guess the question was if they came std...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This may be a $$ savings issue. With the dollar taking a beating in the world markets something has to give to maintain the "under $40K" prices we keep hearing

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That's fine with me. We don't have road tolls here, and I'm not using parking garages much, so I rarely have to roll down the windows quickly.

I'd rather have a cup holder than power windows. :p

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LarryB said:
He did say standard car. Lately it seems to have move over to the the touring package. If I recall correctly, the latest price I've seen on it was $1200 Vs $1000 earlier. Sounds like Lotus is getting hit a bit on the base price and trying to makeup for it on the options.

Opps- thought he said std, or did he change it?
Ok, guess the question was if they came std...
Hmm... I agree that from the reports in Autoweek and Pistonheads that the electric windows had moved from standard to part of the touring package. I read the reply as the power windows will not be available period, but I think you must be right, it's referring to the standard Elise, not the touring package.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Reading the response at face value, I'd take it the same way. Knowing the source and reading the write ups... maybe it's a little reading between the lines. Heck he's too easy a target. :p

Ok, L.A. clearifed that it would be offered on a package, not std.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Canyon Carver said:
I hope manual windows are standard...not so much as for weight savings, I just like the look of the manual crank versus the window switch;)
I'd read the power window was lighter manual, that's why Lotus went ahead with it.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Standard/Base model = no power windows
Touring pkg = power windows (only about 0.4-0.5kg heavier)

As stated the dollar is taking a beating and Lotus is trying hard (including cutting profits) to stay at or near the $38.5K price originally promised. This seems like a move to stay in the ballpark.

Kiyoshi

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
So will the manual windows rattle as badly as in the Demo cars? If the electric windows solve that annoyance, it may be worth the added weight/price.

At least for me...;)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
atyclb said:
maybe we can order power windows as a separate option, not only part of the touring package

???

:confused:
I have this feeling that the touring package will come with most of the new or early Elise. This is Lotus price hike without raising base price. With the dollar hitting another all-time low as we speak, and sliding relentlessly, by next April, maybe the cloth top will become an option too.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
agent.5 said:
I have this feeling that the touring package will come with most of the new or early Elise. This is Lotus price hike without raising base price.
Many people have been assuming that Lotus would have us place orders for the colors and options that we want. But when I first spoke to Symbolic almost a year ago, they thought that the cars would show up and they would call people in order of the list to see if they wanted what was available. Thus, you could be #30 on the list, but if nobody else wants the Aztec Bronze car that came in the first shipment, voila, you have moved up if you take it.

It seems possible to me that Lotus could ship the dealers a bunch of cars with option packages already on them, knowing that someone will snap them up, thus ensuring a little extra profit to allow the base price to remain under $40K. Thus some people might get their cars sooner if they aren't too fussy or later if they are.

·
Registered
607 Posts
jml1952 said:
... they would call people in order of the list to see if they wanted what was available. Thus, you could be #30 on the list, but if nobody else wants the Aztec Bronze car that came in the first shipment, voila, you have moved up if you take it....
Gunther at Symbolic BH seem to indicate as much when I talked to him a couple of days ago. Most likely, no one really knows until January.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
jml1952 said:
It seems possible to me that Lotus could ship the dealers a bunch of cars with option packages already on them, knowing that someone will snap them up, thus ensuring a little extra profit to allow the base price to remain under $40K. Thus some people might get their cars sooner if they aren't too fussy or later if they are.
No chance, that would really piss off a ton of us. Lotus can't afford building such ill will with a mostly 'new' customer base.

When I spoke with a Lotus HQ rep last week, he confirmed that we would be able to order the cars as we wanted.

As the suspense mounts...!!!!:confused: ;) :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clarification from the official forum. Yes, the standard car will not have electric windows and it will be part of the touring package as was indicated in AutoWeek and Pistonheads.

Hmm... curious as to which type of window will work better.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but with the unveiling less than 2 weeks away, I've become less and less interested in equipment speculation. I'll hear the official details straight from Lotus on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts