The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little searching, but didn't find anything I was really looking for.

Could somebody post a picture of a 2005 elise with black power coated wheels? Is it really worth doing and will it look good on chrome orange?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I did a little searching, but didn't find anything I was really looking for.

Could somebody post a picture of a 2005 elise with black power coated wheels? Is it really worth doing and will it look good on chrome orange?
Looks like every other year Elise with black wheels. Lots of pictures on here!

·
Registered
294 Posts
looks great on chrome orange

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I have painted black wheels. I love them. I would have powdercoated, but at the time I didn't know where to go.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here you go - sorry it is a delivery pic. Mine are powder coated gloss black. I just got some sport wheels and tires, that I am going to do in flat black.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Paint them... cheaper, easy to find a place, lighter, and comes out looking the same. I have mine painted gloss black and they look sick. No problems.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i traded up to powder coated rims. had them for about 6 months. in that time ive put about 3000 miles on the car. in that time my rotors have rusted up quite a few times. well, this rust inbeded it self in the coating, and now will not clean up! will not. and now my wheels look like ****. id recommend painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
last pic is after 2 hours of professional detailing

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Maybe I should go with painting... I don't want to deal with that kind of rust.

What did you guys pay to paint each wheel gloss black?

Here you go - sorry it is a delivery pic. Mine are powder coated gloss black. I just got some sport wheels and tires, that I am going to do in flat black.
That looks awesome.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
i traded up to powder coated rims. had them for about 6 months. in that time ive put about 3000 miles on the car. in that time my rotors have rusted up quite a few times. well, this rust inbeded it self in the coating, and now will not clean up! will not. and now my wheels look like ****. id recommend painting.
That rust is not necessarily from powder coating. I had it from practically day one of owning my Elise. I have not lived near an ocean at any time of owning my Elise, so it's not from the environment and it's always garaged. I asked the dealer what it could be and they thought it was from whatever they used in washing my car. So I had them paint the inside of the rotors black so it wouldn't look rusty any more. If you look back at the photo of my car you will see a black circle around the center. I think it looks way cooler that way too.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
egads! How about just cleaning them every once in a while? 40k miles, no rust embedded in wheels. :) Actually someone on the drive this weekend commented that every time she saw my car how clean the wheels were and she couldn't seem to keep hers that clean.

Paint the rusty areas of the discs with BBQ grill paint. Change from factory pads to something with less dust. Clean em every so often.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
egads! How about just cleaning them every once in a while? 40k miles, no rust embedded in wheels. :) Actually someone on the drive this weekend commented that every time she saw my car how clean the wheels were and she couldn't seem to keep hers that clean.

Paint the rusty areas of the discs with BBQ grill paint. Change from factory pads to something with less dust. Clean em every so often.
ive done my best to keep up on them. the car has been in and out of shops for a few months. so it was tough to get at it every time. i have hawk 9014 pads on and they are eating the rotor aggressively(might be part of the problem)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts