The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the time has come to release some information regarding the second generation PPE header.

We've made some significant changes to the design and now have an excellent application for supercharged vehicles.

Updates:

1) Complete redesign in Solidworks allowing for larger diameter equal-length primaries while keeping the collector in the ideal spot.

2) Collector has been rotated to allow clearance for the largest of toe-link braces.

3) We bought the tooling necessary to mandrel bend the primary runners. This was NOT cheap but it allows for an extremely nice looking piece (no welds) while allowing the smoothest possible flow.

4) The primary runners have been enlarged (1.75") for bigger power gains on more powerful supercharged cars (VF/BoE/TVS/BWR Stage 2, etc).

5) Jermaine at VF will be receiving one of our headers soon to create a specialized tune for it.

6) Price will be reduced due to the lower amount of touch labor required to build each header now.

7) We will also offer a custom extra large bore setup for extremely powerful cars.

Here is a teaser picture:

If there is a large amount of interest I'll start a group buy for further price reduction (Estimated $599 :) )

·
Registered
385 Posts
still using a burns stainless collector?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet... I can't wait to get my hands on this piece :evil:
Yours is off at the coating shop right now ;)

usurbrain: The Burns collector is a special option. We've sourced a comparable version in order to keep costs down but will be glad to install an authentic one if desired.

·
Registered
385 Posts
do you have a picture of the inside of the comparable product?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the original PPE header on my car (don't know where it is now...I think my "former" mechanic stole it) and it is one of the most beautiful looking and SOUNDING exhaust additions. It just screams. I could swear I was driving a Ferrari with that piece on. :drool::drool: I can only imagine how good this one will be!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Looks good. I might have to pick one up.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you have a picture of the inside of the comparable product?
I'll try to get one this weekend. It looks just like the Burns piece without the huge markup (Burns collectors are like $300 wholesale).

Yes the sound is a HUGE plus in my opinion... it makes the car sound like it looks (with an appropriate muffler). It's absolutely intoxicating at the track under high RPM use. I said it in another thread... but my car with the PPE header won "best sounding car" against a bunch of V8s and even a race Porsche with an $18k engine :eek:

·
Registered
425 Posts
great looking peice.. 2nd runner is shaped tht way for equal length? since i dnt have one of these yet, i havent looked @ the diff options for exhaust shape n length.. wats the shortest u cld run one? as to not have the bend towards driver side? i knw for a turbo version itll b longer, but can header style be connected 2 a muffler right @ the bottem or is there not engh space?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'll try to get one this weekend. It looks just like the Burns piece without the huge markup (Burns collectors are like $300 wholesale).

Yes the sound is a HUGE plus in my opinion... it makes the car sound like it looks (with an appropriate muffler). It's absolutely intoxicating at the track under high RPM use. I said it in another thread... but my car with the PPE header won "best sounding car" against a bunch of V8s and even a race Porsche with an $18k engine :eek:
The sound alone kinda sells it for me. I don't care if it makes more power or not... :) Do you have a video sound clip? or does anyone?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The sound alone kinda sells it for me. I don't care if it makes more power or not... :) Do you have a video sound clip? or does anyone?
Here is my car:

YouTube - 2005 Lotus Elise with PPE header, high flow cat, and Larini

Sound isn't very well captured in video. It's pretty loud so if you have noise restrictions in your area you'll need to run a quieter muffler (like the 2bular 8").

cokey: The header was designed to augment the 2ZZ engine's powerband as much as possible. Shorter isn't necessarily better when it comes to building equal length headers. They are almost like a musical instrument and need to be tuned according to the engines volumetric efficiency, torque curve, and RPM range.

*edit* Here is another video by LotusTalk member "MNLotus"

YouTube - lotus elise high speed pass

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts
Not interested in louder, just hp and tq.

1. I have na, stock mufflered elise. What are hp & tq gains and where?

2. How much hp does sport cat alone provide?

3. How bad/good would header be with stock muffler?

thx

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not interested in louder, just hp and tq.

1. I have na, stock mufflered elise. What are hp & tq gains and where?

2. How much hp does sport cat alone provide?

3. How bad/good would header be with stock muffler?

thx

1. For a stock NA car expect around 4-6 hp and 3-4 ft lbs of torque (at the wheels). The gains are spread out across the entire powerband with the max benefit at the very top (7800 rpm+)

2. We don't offer the sport cat by itself. Since it's a long-tubed design the sport cat is integrated into the b-pipe (if desired).

3. Honestly the stock muffler isn't that restrictive. I showed an approximate 3 hp gain by using a Von Hep and getting rid of the cat all together (9 hp, 5 ft lbs with this configuration)

These cars are hard to squeeze power out of in NA form. This has been proven with people spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on the dyno (especially Randy Chase) for minimal gains.

Supercharged cars are another story however...

·
Registered
294 Posts
will this new version be appropriate for a non sc'ed elise?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will this new version be appropriate for a non sc'ed elise?
Yes we use smaller diameter piping for the N/A vehicles.

Pricing will be as follows:

Generation 2.0 PPE mandrel bent header (S/C or NA)
$639.00
Test pipe w/ extra O2 sensor bung $159.00
Coating $299 for both pieces in mil-spec black (inside and out).

Price will drop to $599 for the header itself if I can get enough orders. :panic:

Extras:
Upsized piping +1 (1.875" primaries... 300 HP+) $899.00
Upsized piping +2 (2" primaries... 400 HP+ :eek:) $999.00
High-flow cat +$299.00
Burns collector +$250.00
Stainless steel Ask

·
Registered
566 Posts
What are the size of the primaries on my original PPE header?

Any chance of a trade in program? :)

I'm going VF Stage 3 soon, perhaps I can assist in a tune for those using the new PPE header/decat, VF Stage 3, and the DBW 06+ ECU.

·
Registered
821 Posts
subscribed. - very interested - esp if GB is involved

·
Registered
294 Posts
Count me in for sure

1 - 20 of 47 Posts