The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally we are ready!! I've done enough testing and data gathering to make me a firm believer in this header.

For those of you that missed the previous threads, here's a re-cap about the header:

1. 4-into-1 fully tuned long tubed header design
2. Built specifically for the Lotus Elise/Exige - Engineered by Burn's stainless
3. Built by a reputable 2ZZ engine tuner and exhaust header fabricator
4. Has several unique features the competition doesn't have... It utilizes the factory brace and also has the factory style joint to keep it from cracking. We went the extra mile for this header to make sure it'll keep producing power for a long time.
5. Available in multiple configurations so it'll work for all Lotus owners

Normally aspirated version:

- Stepped runner design keeps velocity up and increases scavenging
- Equal length, tuned runners designed by Burn's stainless

Supercharged version:

- Larger primaries designed specifically for supercharged applications
- Equal length, tuned runners designed by Burn's stainless
- Specially designed around the Blackwatch Racing kit (it'll work great for Katana owners also!)

I've gone to the trouble to dyno this header a total of 16 times!!! I wanted real facts and not some half-assed attempt just in order to sell parts. It made great power right after it was installed, and the best part is... it made EVEN MORE POWER after the ECU adjusted (re-tested @ 1700 miles of hard street use).

^ NA header, before and after (*Note: Mustang dyno was reading high for the Elise due to the weight of the car)

I'm extremely happy with the results and think this is one of the best modifications to increase the area under the curve.

Now onto pricing:

Stainless w/ Burns collector $1,699.00

Stainless w/o Burns collector $1,549.00

Stainless test pipe $149.00

Stainless cat pipe $299.00

Mild steel w/ Burns collector $1,199.00

Mild steel w/o Burns collector $899.00

Mild steel test pipe $109.00

Mild steel cat pipe $225.00

Additional O2 bung $25.00

Mil-spec 1600+ degree black coating: $250.00/header, $100/cat or test pipe

Both the NA and the SC versions have the same price.

I'll require a $500 deposit down to start the construction of the header. Please make it clear what configuration you want when sending the deposit. Since PPE is a small shop that is making these headers one-off for each customer, the lead time may be a little longer then you'd normally have to wait.

I'll accept checks, money orders, or Paypal (+3%) for the deposits and for full payment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Do you have more a/f data that you can post for the supercharged version?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have more a/f data that you can post for the supercharged version?
Not yet... Dave will be testing the header. I'll be shipping it off to him very soon and hopefully he can get to the dyno to get some more supporting data for the SC version :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
wasn't this supposed to be cheaper than the FF option? I remember several posts with the previous PPE marketing person taking shots at the FF price and now this is quite a bit more.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is burn's collector?

Any idea of the gain on a sc car?
It's the piece of pipe where all 4 runners come together. Burns stainless is regarded as one of the best when it comes to making these pieces. We found a comparable one to the Burns that costs a LOT less and probably makes the same amount of horsepower. But if you want the name (and the quality) associated with Burns then I'd recommend getting the real thing :D

I'd conservatively estimate 5-7% increase across the whole powerband for an SC car. So if you have 240 horsepower figure a 12-17 hp increase.

vortrex: I know you have a personal vendetta out against this header as every single comment you've made toward it has been wholly negative. I'm trying to help the community out here so I'd appreciate it if you refrained from anymore negative comments in this thread. Thanks.

P.S. The two headers I've already sold have been the $899.00 ones. I'm not sure how that's more then the ForcedFed option @ $1699.00

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
vortrex: I know you have a personal vendetta out against this header as every single comment you've made toward it has been wholly negative. I'm trying to help the community out here so I'd appreciate it if you refrained from anymore negative comments in this thread. Thanks.

P.S. The two headers I've already sold have been the $899.00 ones. I'm not sure how that's more then the ForcedFed option @ $1699.00
it's a legit question, you guys were the one taking shots at FF price. I am just curious why this suddenly is so much more expensive.

oh come now, don't compare your mild steel price to FF's SS price! rotfl

you're SS setup is $2k, FF's is $1700. also, the FF group buy for SS with sport cat was $1200.

·
Registered
558 Posts
it's a legit question, you guys were the one taking shots at FF price. I am just curious why this suddenly is so much more expensive.

oh come now, don't compare your mild steel price to FF's SS price! rotfl

you're SS setup is $2k, FF's is $1700. also, the FF group buy for SS with sport cat was $1200.
FYI - you can call the price of FF Header whatever you want but in my conversation with them yesterday, they won't have any of their street headers available til next Sept/Oct!!

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bane,
Will it hurt to put the sc header on a N/A car for a while until the upgrade to s/c is done?
It won't hurt it, but you won't see the max gain until the supercharger is installed. Since the piping is larger you may get some loss in velocity but I think it'll be relatively insignificant.

If someone wants to dyno that configuration (SC header on an NA car) I'll give you $50.00 off your order to help cover the dyno costs :)

PM or e-mail is fine if you'd like to place an order.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the difference between mild steel and stainless?
Stainless pros:

- Looks better
- Is (negligibly) lighter
- Doesn't rust

Stainless cons:

- Freakin' hard to work with (increases labor cost)
- Much more expensive material

Mild steel pros:

- CHEAPER
- Easier to work with

Mild steel cons:

- Requires a coating or high-temp paint to keep from rusting

To be perfectly honest, I'd use a mild steel one with the mil-spec coating if I had the choice next time around.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not yet... Dave will be testing the header. I'll be shipping it off to him very soon and hopefully he can get to the dyno to get some more supporting data for the SC version :)
Would there be any problems if we purchased the header for a s/c and use it on a N/A engine? Assuming there are those of us who are planning up upgrade in the future.

Would it be better just to wait then?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Would there be any problems if we purchased the header for a s/c and use it on a N/A engine? Assuming there are those of us who are planning up upgrade in the future.

Would it be better just to wait then?
It won't hurt it, but you won't see the max gain until the supercharger is installed. Since the piping is larger you may get some loss in velocity but I think it'll be relatively insignificant.

If someone wants to dyno that configuration (SC header on an NA car) I'll give you $50.00 off your order to help cover the dyno costs :)

PM or e-mail is fine if you'd like to place an order.
See above. Be the guinea pig and dyno your car at Bane's expense ;).

·
Registered
301 Posts
what do you do about the 02 sensors. my friend had a ppe header in his mr2 spyder and it cause all kinds of problems. it was because of the whole wiring issue.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts