The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I am in the process of buying my first Elise and the car had a PPI completed today. There were a few findings such as some debris in the area where it connects to a blower and resistor. Mechanic said that the ac and heat will stop working soon because of leaves buildup etc.
There were some other things like fluid, belt, coolant change and a front light replacement needed.I wouldn’t mind taking care of those since the car is used.

The biggest finding was the damage to a clam underneath from going over steep driveway. Pic.attached.
My question is would it be reasonable to ask the seller to take care of the installing a new blower and resistor and fixing the clam to original condition?
It is 05 Elise with 10 k miles advertised as Excellent condition car. Agreed price before inspection is 34k. Apart from that everything else checks out. Also recalls has not been done. It’s due 2 recall!
Please let me know if anyone had a similar experience and what would you have done if you were buying a car and found these issues.
2DE24997-11E8-4EA9-8951-08FC4FCE7B47.jpeg
13D9D3FE-710B-4C3B-9278-A5BF4BC062CB.jpeg
2DE24997-11E8-4EA9-8951-08FC4FCE7B47.jpeg
18C5E284-DECD-4652-9E1D-6945BAEF047F.jpeg
2CE32E94-6B98-42A8-B27F-9AE35E6774CC.jpeg
2CE32E94-6B98-42A8-B27F-9AE35E6774CC.jpeg
18C5E284-DECD-4652-9E1D-6945BAEF047F.jpeg

Thank you! Looking forward to hear your opinions.
F5672D44-D32C-4DDB-B912-2473746EB878.jpeg
D5772093-F523-42CF-A511-C5581ABACB14.jpeg
C6AA5233-603A-4731-88FB-7B51ADEEB645.jpeg
9535C283-E742-44AF-A5A9-EA37EBE87DD4.jpeg
CBB30981-A641-409D-9476-5F9298A4D624.jpeg
1D762AAB-8C48-496E-A776-E2862D89640F.jpeg

·
Registered
343 Posts
The blower motor and resistor are a pain. I'm in the process of fixing mine right now. Doesn't hurt to ask. 30k is what these cars generally go for regardless of condition and miles, if they have a clean title.

The front clam isn't terrible given the isolation of the damage. You can repair that yourself and throw a lip on.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I would write the check, grab the keys and drive away very fast!

The issues you show/describe are par for the course for this car. That seems to be a nice specimen you have there.

But of course, you need to be prepared to tinker endlessly (and enjoy that). :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
506 Posts
Ask yourself, if the seller is listing this in "Excellent condition", yet cant take the time to take the removable pieces off and get , what looks like years of debris out of there..........I would be hesitant. Also with that crack in the front there is no way this car should be listed in excellent condition. Car was most likely stored outdoors due to the debris, not a bad thing, just something to consider. Show us some more pics of the cars so we can point other things out that may need attention.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ask yourself, if the seller is listing this in "Excellent condition", yet cant take the time to take the removable pieces off and get , what looks like years of debris out of there..........I would be hesitant. Also with that crack in the front there is no way this car should be listed in excellent condition. Car was most likely stored outdoors due to the debris, not a bad thing, just something to consider. Show us some more pics of the cars so we can point other things out that may need attention.

The issues you show/describe are par for the course for this car. That seems to be a nice specimen you have there.

Sent from my P
Thank you! More pictures attached

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you! More pictures uploaded.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The blower motor and resistor are a pain. I'm in the process of fixing mine right now. Doesn't hurt to ask. 30k is what these cars generally go for regardless of condition and miles, if they have a clean title.

The front clam isn't terrible given the isolation of the damage. You can repair that yourself and throw a lip on.
Thank you!

·
Administrator
5,044 Posts
Get quotes for the repairs and use that as a bargaining tool for your final price. Figure 1000 for the resistor pack, 500-1000 fix clam, 700 on maintenance items and offer that amount less than asking price. Now if you're doing the work 750 would cover it.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I'm with the thoughts of Catsailr27 as far as reducing cost with the issues. I'm able and willing to do most of the work myself as needed. Therefore, if it were my transaction, I'd offer $29-31K for the car as is and do much of the things already mentioned above. Hard to understand that someone would have a car like this and not cover it to at least keep leaves and such out.

1) Did the cams get checked?
2) Hard top and soft top? If there's a hard top in good condition, I'd be in the $31k-32K

JMHO
Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMO, the car is NOT excellent condition. Others with vastly more experience may not see it that way, but excellent to me means excellent, underneath and on the outside. The mess of leaves indicates the car has been outside quite a bit, and that is not congruent with excellent. My 2 cents as a long time car enthusiast but newbie Elise owner. Offer less

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with the thoughts of Catsailr27 as far as reducing cost with the issues. I'm able and willing to do most of the work myself as needed. Therefore, if it were my transaction, I'd offer $29-31K for the car as is and do much of the things already mentioned above. Hard to understand that someone would have a car like this and not cover it to at least keep leaves and such out.

1) Did the cams get checked?
2) Hard top and soft top? If there's a hard top in good condition, I'd be in the $31k-32K

JMHO
Good luck.
Thanks! Had cam and compression test done, all good. Comes with a hardtop that is brand new and never even been put on the car.
The owner claimed in the advertising that it has been garaged always, but doesn’t look that way apparently. I’m thinking 31-32 as well or have them fix the issues before sale since it was advertised as Excellent condition.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get quotes for the repairs and use that as a bargaining tool for your final price. Figure 1000 for the resistor pack, 500-1000 fix clam, 700 on maintenance items and offer that amount less than asking price. Now if you're doing the work 750 would cover it.
Totally agree with you

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
481 Posts
This is why I don't get hung up on mileage. When cars with 10k are in this bad of shape, but I know one Elise with over 100k in better shape than this. These cars do better when driven!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is why I don't get hung up on mileage. When cars with 10k are in this bad of shape, but I know one Elise with over 100k in better shape than this. These cars do better when driven!
I don’t think it’s a bad shape at all. All fixable. Money talks that’s what it is. And for resale later on there is far more chance to sell a car with 20-30 miles compare to with over a 100.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I bought mine with 96K on it, with both minor cosmetic, mechanical and electrical issues. All of them were issues I could resolve myself. People buy with their eyes. That said, the seller couldn't be bothered with a $200 detail job to clean it up and present it in the best possible way.

Overall it's a nice original car that hasn't seen much care, but it doesn't appear to have been abused. I would also budget a set of tires if the the tires are original (they would be stones by now - check the date codes).

I recalled your thoughts about the bright color, there is always this, with a known history.....

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
217 Posts
If the clam damage wasn't disclosed, then seems like that would be a bargaining chip. Leaves under the front access panel just means it has been stored outside and the seller didn't take great care in detailing it. Having to replace the original radiator and blower resistor are very common. If the oil line recall hasn't been done yet, then that saves the ~$700 in labor to remove the front clam if you want to have a dealer replace the radiator and blower resistor while they have the clam off. Gator Motorsport said that they usually wait to do the oil line recall until they have a buyer, in case the buyer wants them to do any other work under the front clam while they have it off for the recall. I bought my 05 Elise last year and ended up having to replace the radiator about a month later.

·
Registered
213 Posts
IMO, the car is NOT excellent condition. Others with vastly more experience may not see it that way, but excellent to me means excellent, underneath and on the outside. The mess of leaves indicates the car has been outside quite a bit, and that is not congruent with excellent. My 2 cents as a long time car enthusiast but newbie Elise owner. Offer less
My opinion exactly. Seller hasn't even bothered to do the oil line recall, an important safety update? This car sat neglected outside for years, hence the low mileage. If you're storing it outside at least put a cover on, it's common sense. Didn't these come with a free cover? What other common sense prevention wasn't done? Better check those tires before driving, I bet they're expired, don't want you sliding into something.

Be sure to check the suspension mounts for catalytic damage.

Chin damage is very common and I've seen cars left like that with a splitter to hide it. No biggie.

But to me this is a hard pass at 34. Even with the low miles. I'd consider it at 32 and be interested at 31 or less, as you now have budget for fixing things both known and hidden.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That ought to clean up fine. Did the Tech also drive it? I would check tire dates, fix headlight, flush fluids, replace wiper blade, put the HT on and drive her home! Deal with the Recalls over the winter. Are you doing your own wrenching or have a local shop? Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Reactions: NHlotus

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,328 Posts
30k is what these cars generally go for regardless of condition and miles, if they have a clean title.
This is something I've seen said before, and I respectfully disagree. I think this idea was started by Doug DeMuro in an article he wrote for AutoTrader that was called something like, I owned a Lotus Elise for free and so can you, wherein he describes paying 30k for an Elise, driving it cross country and then selling it for $30k. This idea was reinforced on Matt Farah's youtube channel during a review of an Elise where he states something to the effect of, 'these things are thirty grand, forever'.

I think it would be more fair to say the price of these cars will likely never fall below $30,000 due to their rarity, exotic looks, low weight, performance to cost ratio, etc...

But certainly a clean, low-mileage example should be worth more than an abused high-mileage example. A well cared for, unmodified car should be worth more than one that was heavily modified for the track. So it's not that these are just $30,000, it's that they are worth at least $30,000 barring any significant damage, defects or issues.

@NHlotus the items you've described are part and parcel for these cars. I would venture that 70% of them have scrapes on those little wings under the front clam. The blower/resistor is a notorious trouble maker.

The only exception is the detritus under the front access panels, not because some leaves getting in there are a problem in and of themselves, but they do indicate that the car was perhaps not protected in the way many owner's feel these cars should be protected.

They're getting up there in age now, 'excellent condition' is subjective as is price, but I think $34k is fair for a clean, unmodified example with less than 10k on the clock.

Unless it's been intentionally misrepresented in anyway, then I would walk.

But if you like it, hey, there aren't many low-mileage, unmodified examples around.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts