The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a deal with another member here and just wanted to ask you guys what you though about this.

I'm requesting a PPI and the nearest lotus dealer is 2hr from the seller. He asked if a Mercedes Benz/Toyota dealer PPI ( ~$100 ) would be acceptable. My reason for the PPI is I have no testimony or assurance the car is in working condition other then what the sellers says. Granted I trust it does run and is as picture and certainly can tell for myself that it is as said by seeing it in person. Though I wont have the expertise or time to go much further investigating it. So I'm putting faith in the dealer to assess the car. If a lotus dealer tells me/certifies the car is in good condition, that is enough for me.

So what I'm wondering is, what can a lotus deal know that a toyota cant. Are two PPI's even comparable, do they know anything about the ECU data? Would you trust a toyota dealer, or lotus dealer for that matter.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't like taking my Toyota, to the Toyota dealer.

Can you find an independent that has worked on them in the past? Why not post the area you're looking for and see if anyone knows a good mechanic.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good thought, maybe even a willing member to check it out :) ?

Hagerstown Maryland

Really or joking, my dealer ( 2001 mr2 ) was amazing but a lotus is no mr2, toyota parts but no mr2.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in Frederick, just 30 minutes (or less) from Hagerstown. I would definitely be willing to check out the car, but suggest for a more thorough mechanical you have the car taken to Albert at Milex. He works on several Lotus in this area (including mine) and used to run the Performance Division for Criswell back when they had the Lotus franchise.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the screen at mid way on your post so I didnt see the JK part, was thinking, I know this guy better then that?

I'm going to give JA here a buz, sounds like the perfect avenue for me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good thought, maybe even a willing member to check it out :) ?

Hagerstown Maryland

Really or joking, my dealer ( 2001 mr2 ) was amazing but a lotus is no mr2, toyota parts but no mr2.
Two Toyota dealers in my region couldn't figure out why the heater wasn't working on a Land Cruiser I had. One suggested a coolant flush "because old coolant doesn't conduct heat very well". The other suggested thermostat even though engine temps were perfect. I wouldn't think of letting them monkey around on the Elise.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
PPI originally comes from latin, the word PP which means in latin to piss and I which translates to me so essentially it means I piss on you which is pretty much what car dealerships do when they sell you car, hope I was of good help..

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I live in Frederick, just 30 minutes (or less) from Hagerstown. I would definitely be willing to check out the car, but suggest for a more thorough mechanical you have the car taken to Albert at Milex. He works on several Lotus in this area (including mine) and used to run the Performance Division for Criswell back when they had the Lotus franchise.
+for Albert.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thx RENDERMAN, very useful info to know :)
sprocket3, Yeah I guess it depends on the reason but cause that is ridicules.
Albert Will be checking out the car for sure.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't think Euromotorcars of Bethesda is 2hrs from Hagerstown. Could be with Friday traffic :confused:
7020 Arlington Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
(888) 250-2987

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.