The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Elise that you are interested is actually being sold by a Lotus dealer and/or the best service center for these types of cars, how do you conduct a PPI? Obviously, while they are experienced with these cars, perhaps they are not as unbiased as need be. How would you conduct at PPI in a situation like this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You don’t have a lot of options unfortunately. As biased as it might be, there’s a lot of legal ramifications for them lying about the condition of things.

If the price and model is right, from a dealer, I’d go for it. Should you find something contrary to the condition they advertised, most dealerships are happy to get it fixed instead of making a big legal fuss.

Just make sure to get any item condition in writing. Not just “150 point inspection good”. Get a list of every element that was checked in that inspection and the condition.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
If the Elise that you are interested is actually being sold by a Lotus dealer and/or the best service center for these types of cars, how do you conduct a PPI? Obviously, while they are experienced with these cars, perhaps they are not as unbiased as need be. How would you conduct at PPI in a situation like this?
I would post the dealer's name, as I'm sure somebody here has something to say about them, be it good or bad. I don't think being a Lotus dealership and knowing what you're doing necessarily go hand in hand.

San

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Just make sure to get any item condition in writing. Not just “150 point inspection good”. Get a list of every element that was checked in that inspection and the condition.
And picture evidence of things as appropriate like the cams, brakes, tires, etc. Other things like frame straightness and alignment also have defined tests where they can give you the results rather than just "pass" or "fail"

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And picture evidence of things as appropriate like the cams, brakes, tires, etc. Other things like frame straightness and alignment also have defined tests where they can give you the results rather than just "pass" or "fail"
Thank you very much. Great idea.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have more questions and rather than spam the forum, will ask them here since they are pre-inspection questions.

From reading FAQ's and such, the list of items that are particular to the Elise seems small. I have the following:

1. Radiator. The OEM radiator is plastic and prone to fail. If an Elise still has an OEM radiator, how much is it to replace with aluminum?
2. Steering wheel gets gummy. Most seem to live with it like this if in this condition. Not much can be done from my understanding.
3. Soft Top has excessive wear and tear. I guess this can be replaced. Cost?
4. Camshafts can show wear (due to bad initial batch of cams?). This is seen as wear scars on the cams? Replacement costs?

This is all I know to go in with on any discussion about buying an Elise. I know to look for obvious signs of problems (smoke out the tail pipe), corrosion, etc.

Thank you all very much.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
OK, I can give you some clarity here.

Intake cam replacement = $600 ish labor (at $125/Hr.) OEM cam is about $200 but the issues doesn't seem to be a bad batch of cams. It appears to be from oil over-cooling, more specifically, the car allowing you to jump on the high can BEFORE the oil is warm enough.

Soft top - Replacement = $1,500

Steering wheel gummy = Haven't heard of this but some cars do have knock caused by bushing wear on steering rack. Replacement is about $1,000.

Radiator - Aluminum replacement when it leaks around a grand. Its a clam off job.

When doing PPI, do an ECU data dump to see how much time the car has spent at various revs. Check underside for contact damage, indicating potential frame issues. Use this forum as the present owner may have posted here in the past.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I can give you some clarity here.

Intake cam replacement = $600 ish labor (at $125/Hr.) OEM cam is about $200 but the issues doesn't seem to be a bad batch of cams. It appears to be from oil over-cooling, more specifically, the car allowing you to jump on the high can BEFORE the oil is warm enough.

Soft top - Replacement = $1,500

Steering wheel gummy = Haven;t heard of this but some cars do have knock caused by bushing wear on steering rack. Replacement is about $1,000.

Radiator - Aluminum replacement when it leaks around a grand. Its a clam off job.

When doing PPI, do an ECU data dump to see how much time the car has spent at various revs. Check underside for contact damage, indicating potential frame issues. Use this forum as the present owner may have posted here in the past.
The Elise I'm looking at is at a Lotus dealership so a PPI isn't really an option.

Thanks for the ECU data dump idea. I've heard that these are sometimes not reliable but I'll ask anyway just to see how the dealer responds.

·
Lotus Technician
103 Posts
Ask the dealer to see the used car inspection sheet from when they took the car in. If they dont have one, you can ask them to perform an inspection and provide you with paperwork and pictures of any issues. If they provide it, you have this paperwork to go back on if you decide to buy the car and find an issue.

T.J.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask the dealer to see the used car inspection sheet from when they took the car in. If they dont have one, you can ask them to perform an inspection and provide you with paperwork and pictures of any issues. If they provide it, you have this paperwork to go back on if you decide to buy the car and find an issue.

T.J.
Understood. Thank you kindly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts