The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Props to Fzust who prompted me to do this.

The why: if there's a cylinder head failure, in order to remove the head one has to remove the timing cover on the side of the motor. This is a PITA as there's lots to remove etc. There is just one bolt under the cover that's on the timing chain guide (the one on the right as you look at them) which bolts into the head thus preventing it from being pulled off the top. There's also the upper engine mount bolt but this can be extracted as it's on the side timing cover.

The "fix" : drill a hole into the timing cover over the timing chain guide bolt, tap it with 1/2 inch NPT tap , then plug the hole with a brass fitting.
I also used a cut off wheel on my Dremel to notch the engine mount so that it could fit .

So, "when" I wreck the cylinder head , I just need to remove this plug, and the engine mount in order to then remove the head from top.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh.. on the first picture I've placed a piece of gum over the bolt. I drilled a pilot hole through the cover, then poked the gum through the hole to determine how close to the center the pilot hole was ...

·
He's on fire!
3,293 Posts
perhaps a silly question - but if you don't already have the engine out, can this mod be done "in situ" ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't recommend doing this mod with the engine in if the timing cover is still in place. One reason being is that if you're drilling you put metal filings in there. Then you're really guessing as to where that bolt is located under the timing cover. If you've removed the timing cover with the engine in, then yes it can be done I would think.
I should have made a template for where to drill that might help others. If all goes well , I'll repeat the process as I have a second 2zzge built short block which I will finish once this is in the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts