The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought this may be useful for some newer owners. Additional suggestions are welcomed.

Due to the dependence on the alarm remote to open the doors & no spare tire, I take the following precautions;

Alarm remote failure, loosing or locking in the trunk
a) Always carry both remotes
b) Carry a spare remote battery CR2032
c) Inertia switch spliced jumper wire to open doors (do a search)
d) Know how to open trunk without key

Tire puncture
a) Extra can of aerosol tire sealer
b) Tire plug repair kit
c) Small 12V tire compressor
d) Light weight aluminum scissors jack to facilitate repair
e) Small piece of plywood to stabilize above jack

Instructions
a) Re-sync alarm remote
b) Enter alarm PIN code

Misc.
a) Jumper cables
b) Flashlight
c) Small selection of tools
d) Multimeter

·
Registered
356 Posts
>>b) Carry a spare battery

You mean the battery for the alarm key right, what type of battery does it use, also when you replace the battery do you have to reconfigure the alarm?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remote battery CR2032 does not normally need resyncing.
>>b) Carry a spare battery

You mean the battery for the alarm key right, what type of battery does it use, also when you replace the battery do you have to reconfigure the alarm?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Geez, that adds a lot of weight. I carry a AAA card. LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Due to the dependence on the alarm remote to open the doors & no spare tire, I take the following precautions;

Alarm remote failure, loosing or locking in the trunk
a) Always carry both remotes
b) Carry a spare remote battery CR2032
c) Inertia switch spliced jumper wire to open doors (do a search)
d) Know how to open trunk without key

Instructions
a) Re-sync alarm remote
b) Enter alarm PIN code
Bit extreme... you can cut that spare remote and battery without compromise :) - the other bits on your list make it redundant (keep the re-sync/pin code instructions with the manual). If you can get into the trunk you can get into the car with your door opening method and you can also disable the alarm and start the car without a working fob if you have the PIN code. But having a spare fob battery isn't a big weight penalty either :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
And I've removed that junk Cobra system and lock my door with a key ;)
Please post a link of how this was done. I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO need/want to do this.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Details?
It's on my to-do list today.
I pulled all the components last summer except the wiring, in the event a future owner wants it back for some reason. I'm 90% sure I made notes on the fuel pump/starter bypass method I used, and will try to post up if I still have this weekend. You might also PM rob13572468 who's pretty Cobra savvy and removed his too I believe.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
You can't anticipate everything that might go wrong. Instead of trying to plan for every potential though remote problem I suggest just joining an automobile club like AAA.

Also instead of carrying an extra remote or battery - just change the battery once a year.

Carl

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a reason to carry both remotes ;)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/alarm-help-69342/#post1230267
Bit extreme... you can cut that spare remote and battery without compromise :) - the other bits on your list make it redundant (keep the re-sync/pin code instructions with the manual). If you can get into the trunk you can get into the car with your door opening method and you can also disable the alarm and start the car without a working fob if you have the PIN code. But having a spare fob battery isn't a big weight penalty either :)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With all due respect, "could have, should have", if he had had the 2nd remote there would have been no problem, am I wrong? And how do you suggest he opens the door easily?
Michael
with all due respect if he'd had the PIN there would have been no issue (as I mentioned :))

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
These are the two pair of pins/wires on the immobilizer plug that need to be jumpered to enable the Starter and Fuel pump when the immobilizer is disconnected. Hope this helps.
Michael
Thanks for the pic. I'm Cobra free.

One less thing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
With all due respect, "could have, should have", if he had had the 2nd remote there would have been no problem, am I wrong? And how do you suggest he opens the door easily?
Michael
Like all "could have, should have" the spare fob would have been useful - but as he already had the door open if he'd had the PIN he'd have been fine. I'd rather keep my spare fob safe at home rather than carry it around and risk losing it too - but each to their own :wave:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts