The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long ago, I reasoned that an extra $2500 premium for a short list would be worthwhile given the estimated delivery date of "July '04".

For the extra cost, I could drive the Elise a whole SoCal summer! What a deal.

July, Chris takes the keys, flashbulbs popping.. surely mine will come soon?

August, more appear, but still silence from Lotus, except for the price hike, of course.

September... I have my choice of "no info" or "maybe soon", neither of which corners very well.

October. Even in San Diego, the mountain leaves turn fall colors. I envy my Miata club friends, but riding shotgun is poor substitute.

November. Elections pass in steady rain, sand on the roads, crisp morning air, and continued vacancy in the garage.

This has been my "Elise Experience".

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Ground,
have you considered trying to renegotiate your premium, just doesn't seem you should have to pay any premium at all, in view that cars are available now at 2k markup or so.
Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would second that.

Premiums seem to be dropping fast, and everything is negotiable. Even at MSRP, the dealer is making some kind of profit, so one would think they will try to keep your business.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My opinion is that California will continue to see premiums long after the other states. Sure, there are more dealers, but the flow of cars is still very slow. Interest is still high here, and should continue. There are a lot of people here with money to burn and will not flinch on paying 5k over for an impulse toy to keep their Ferrari company. The only option for the rest of us is keep on waiting for our cars to come in at a smaller premium, look for a used car, or buy new out of state at a small premium and pay another $2,000 for shipping.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
clrodrick said:
My opinion is that California will continue to see premiums long after the other states.
---
There are a lot of people here with money to burn and will not flinch on paying 5k over for an impulse toy to keep their Ferrari company.
Not to wax philosphic, but I have often wondered why this is the case. Granted, it has a very large robust economy (even when it's in a downturn, it's still a powerhouse.) After living in S. FL for some time and now that I have family living in S.F. I think I've figured it out. The cost of living is so high that people get desensitized to numbers. When it's OK to pay upwards of 3/4 million for a 3 bedroom duplex; it doesn't feel as bad to pay over MSRP for a toy. Please understand, I do not mean this as a slam, it's simply an observation and curiosity to understand a phenomenon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Babak,
I recently moved from South Florida, myself, and have made the same comparison.
IMO, you hit the nail on the head.
Best,
John

babak said:
Not to wax philosphic, but I have often wondered why this is the case. Granted, it has a very large robust economy (even when it's in a downturn, it's still a powerhouse.) After living in S. FL for some time and now that I have family living in S.F. I think I've figured it out. The cost of living is so high that people get desensitized to numbers. When it's OK to pay upwards of 3/4 million for a 3 bedroom duplex; it doesn't feel as bad to pay over MSRP for a toy. Please understand, I do not mean this as a slam, it's simply an observation and curiosity to understand a phenomenon.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
also cars are simply worth more to people here.

If i wanted to, i could drive the Elise 350 beautiful days a year. Compare that to someone on the east coast who will be lucky to get 250 decent weather days. As a born and raised east coaster, i can definitely say a sports car gives me much more value here than it did back home.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
offroadr35 said:
If i wanted to, i could drive the Elise 350 beautiful days a year. Compare that to someone on the east coast who will be lucky to get 250 decent weather days. As a born and raised east coaster, i can definitely say a sports car gives me much more value here than it did back home.
Rub it in, why don't you. I think I get about 30 good days a year here in Seattle. That would make the Elise a terrible investment I suppose. But it doesn't bother me, I'm one of those fools that commuted year round on a motorcycle. I called it the "dodge the icy spots" game.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
offroadr35 said:
also cars are simply worth more to people here.

I'm in TX and so far I drove mine every single day. we have 365 beautifull days a year here :p

my definition of beautifull might differ from yours ;)

Edit: Sorry for being off topic, I just realized it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was offered a car that I wanted today at $3500 over. I could not do it. I refuse to play the game of overpaying for a car. MSRP provides enough profit. We should all expect a fair return on our money. I believe that as winter comes into full swing you will see the over MSRP or cold. I must remind myself to have patience!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts