The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

I'm going to be doing my own oil changes and am preparing for my first one.

I'm thinking of grabbing a nifty lifty to lift the rear and either some rhino ramps or something do it myself to rest the rear tires on. From what I've read, this seems like potentially the most fool proof way of getting under the rear of the car?

As far as oil goes, I buy Amsoil for everything I own, so I was thinking of using Amsoil 5w-40. Does anyone else use this oil? Any suggestions for oil filters? Stock Toyota or something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
You will want to get a Mobil1 M1-209. As far as ramps, why not just back up onto the Rhino ramps? Do you have an overly large diffuser? I back my Elise up onto mine just fine. Just won't work in the front. If you 3D print items, PM me your email and I will send you my funnel .stl file. One less thing to hold while you are trying to pour oil!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I trust my clutching skills good enough to back up on the ramps and stop in time. They seem fairly steep?

Will definitely PM you for that funnel! Cool!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Funnel file sent! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Get metal ramps (NOT Rhino Ramps). The former don't slide & the latter do.

Get someone to weld metal stops to end of ramp landing area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I might even make some of my own out of some 2x10 or 2x12's. I have some low profile ones I made for my Supra, but the total height is only 3", just enough to get a jack under the car.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
When I do oil changes on my Exige I just jack the car up each side at a time using the center balance jack point. I'll lower one side of the car onto some wheel cribs I made using 2x4 and then do the other side. Makes oil changes a snap.

·
He's on fire!
3,159 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm using rhino ramps (or have at least one set). Never had any issues. My default parking position on the garage is to back it on to the ramps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with building my own wooden ramps, with a lower slope. From what I can tell the Rhino ramps provide about 6.5" of lift? So maybe I'll make them slightly taller than that.

Oil wise, I guess I'm going to give Amsoil 5w-40 a shot.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I made some extension ramps for my Rhino ramps. Bolts added to "lock" them into place. I don't actually bolt them but the bolts drop into the existing groove in the ramps. I built these for my RC and the Lotus, works great with both!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Closer detail

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If I am not feeling confident or in a strange location, I just jack the car up onto the rhino ramps. I am very careful when under vehicles... I leave jack in place as well, but just take ramps take the pressure first. leave parking brake on, in gear and have a picnic under there. the most difficult aspect is the shear panel, check for drips and locations of said drips prior to cleaning. I think like CSI everytime under. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Using store-bought ramps is easy enough. I do remember the first time I backed onto them though. My heart was beating quite rapidly. However now I find that it is easy enough.

My current technique is to back up to the foot of the ramp. Then I put one work glove outside the car in plain view and another glove 3 feet behind that. Then I back up with the driver's door open. The total travel distance for my ramps is 3 feet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts