The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issue number 2 of the official Lotus magazine that came out in spring of 2011? This one:

I am trying to find out if there is any valuable info on the Pretty Woman Esprit from an article titled "Julia Roberts Gets In Gere"... Issue 3 had some interesting tidbits of behind the scenes info on the Basic Instinct cars and I just wanted to know what kind of info they had on the Pretty Woman silver car in this issue. I seem to remember seeing a blurry photo from the magazine and it only being a spread of photo stills from the movie... Maybe there was an article in the following pages though?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
what year was that car ? 1990 or 1991?
If I remember correctly, it was not a 1991. Probably a 1990. There were some interior differences that made it look like an earlier car since my ex Esprit was a 91.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think it was an '89, just look for the non-airbag steering wheel to confirm.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
You can see the actual car at Volo auto museum just north of Chicago.

·
Registered
860 Posts
juts googled it........ supposedly a 1990 Esprit SE, but was "somehow" registered improperly as a 1989. It doesn't appear to have an airbag...which makes me think it is actually a 1989. I haven't seen a 1990 without an airbag wheel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a 1989. I have a huge text document on my other computer with a TON of details on the car and some of its history. was just looking for this article to see if it can fill any gaps.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I remember seeing that car in a Planet Hollywood I thought at one time before I even dreamed of owning an Esprit. It was one of the few I have ever seen in person.

And you know even now there is only one other Esprit near me I know of, its been sitting at a repair shop for 3 years with a transmission issue, I stopped and asked about it, they told be there was a problem with the car going into 5th gear due to a large nut in the rear of the transmission coming loose and requiring tightening? They said they tightened it, now it wont still go into 5th without issue, they think it was loose for too long and wore out something more major? Never heard of this one on any forum, but its the same year as my 88.

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the Wiki site, it's listed as an 89.5, and the movie was shot from July til Oct of 1989, so it seems as if it would be a 90, but who knows with such a low volume product if manufacturing dates line up. It did say that the movie tripled Lotus sales for a few years.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I posted the article above in my previous post. The cars were 89SE's.

The one in the filming for the scenes where he "picks her up" was slightly bent after it hit a curb... And then had a passenger window shatter.

The article is wrong on the engine though (says it's a 907) when the SE had the 910...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You can see the actual car at Volo auto museum just north of Chicago.
Yep. My dad lives right down the street on Fox Lake. Went there last week on a whim as a friend's dad has his Allard J2X on consignment there. Wanted me to check it out since we were in the area. The museum is actually very cool and very kid friendly. They have a number of 'Hollywood' vehicles, including:

- The Esprit (featuring two of my three sons in the pic)
- Miami Vice '74 Daytona Spyder replica (behind the Esprit in the pic)
- Ferris Bueller 250GTO replica (behind the Spyder)
- Back to the Future Delorean (in front of the Esprit)
- Mystery Machine, Herbie Love Bug, etc.

Oh and also is a pic of BEAUTIFUL Allard. Unfortunately my brother said 'dude, it looks like a big red d*ck' and know that's what I see when I look at it.

And yes, I yelled at my kids for touching the car and jumping the rope:

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
I understand that when the producers of "Pretty Woman" wanted an exotic sports car for the movie they contacted Ferrari and Lamborghini first, but both didn't want their cars associated with a movie regarding prostitution. So actually Lotus was their third choice which turned out well for them because as somebody said above, Lotus sales boomed over the next few years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never been big on Lotus/Bahar trumpeting the product placement in Pretty Woman/Basic Instinct so purposefully of late. It comes across as very desperate reminicent of a "has been" mentality, especially since other companies don't remind people of their appearances so purposefully. That was 20 years ago, and Lotus killed the Esprit a decade ago and has had no real urgency to replace it. Their focus should be on the current products people recognise, not on a classic that is from a different era.

Their main product has been the Elise, which has been around since the mid nineties, what films was that in? Their flagship the Evora was in a Desperate Housewives episode, but any motion pictures?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think that anymore in the disposable society we live in, the cars they make now a days, no matter how fast they go, how cool they look, or what technology they have in the cockpit, they will be no where near as iconic as back in the day models. Example: When someone says Lamborghini, I dont think of one of the new ones that have different names you cant pronounce and all the models sorta look alike. I think of the Countach from the 80's like Cannonball Run. But then again, I grew up when things werent disposable, so maybe its just people from my age group also that thinks like this.

Even the makers of those Fast and the Furious movies are still sholveling old iconic exotic/muscle cars onto the big screen and into the minds of kids from the new disposable society.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Movie product placement has changed alot over the past 20 years , back then the loan of a vehicle or two and a support crew(mechanic and a wrangler) was all the movie companies wanted, now they want at least 4 of each hero vehicle, plus other complete vehicles to cut up and section for interior shots etc., and of course to crash.

The movie production companies also want a thing called money, and LOTS of it which is why you havent seen a Lotus vehicle as a hero car in a feature film lately.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Did anyone answer the OP's question? If so, sorry for the repost. I have the mag and the article (doubt we'll see anymore Lotus magazines). Car was an '89 and damaged twice. Hit curb for $22k of damage, and window shattered when door slammed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

found this thread today - and maybe you find this little story interesting - I think it fits in here :D

So I have a 1990 SE in Frost Silver (without Airbag and without Anti Lock-Brake!). Just two weeks before I bought it the seller was contacted by a german TV station which wanted to make a "Pretty Wumme" shot for a commedy show... The owner asked me if its o.k. because I just decided to buy the car at that time what I accepted (I shouldnt... :cool:).

The result was the video enclosed and a scatched front alloy which we found out just two weeks after the shot when the car was mine... - but cause the alloys are not painted I could let fix it for a bargain... so no problem.

Well - I´m not really proud of it - but one more esprit in a movie :D:D The clip was sended in the german TV.

Pretty Wumme - Cindy & die jungen Wilden - TV Shows - Shows - MySpass.de

By the way - the ugly silver-plate around the licence plate I just changed for the original as you can see in the picture thread (site 17 I think).

... and NO - the car dont´t apears again after the opening scene... so you don´t have to watch all of it ;-))

Cheers!
Calavera ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
I understand that when the producers of "Pretty Woman" wanted an exotic sports car for the movie they contacted Ferrari and Lamborghini first, but both didn't want their cars associated with a movie regarding prostitution. So actually Lotus was their third choice which turned out well for them because as somebody said above, Lotus sales boomed over the next few years.
Hahaha, way to Lotus and stepping up to supports the "women of the street" population. :p
Whether it be then or now, Lotus cannot afford to be picky to whom they sell to

1 - 20 of 22 Posts