The Lotus Cars Community banner

Which car you think the Elise will be most like?

• Fiat X1/9

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • MR2 MKI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MR2 MkII

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • MR Spyder

• Miata

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • S2000

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Lotus Elan

• Lotus Esprit

• Bogus choices, the Elise is totally unique.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Lotus Europa

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would bet that most everyone on this list has owned one (or more) of the cars listed in the poll. (I've owned both flavors of MR2, still have a Miata, and considered buying all except the MRS.)

But which one do you think comes closest to what we expect Lotus to offer us in the Elise?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You know I voted for the X1/9, that I nicknamed "Wedgie", and my handle is "Modern Wedgie" because I believe the elise epitomizes the vision that bertone had back in 69.

My X1/9 was designed as a streetable sports car. Unlike the spiders and other cars during the time, this car had a very sporty and unrefined design, but included all the finer attributes necessary for fabulous handling. Mid engine mounted, targa, four wheel discs, independant wish bone suspension, light, and of course, it had an incredibly unique design to give it attention (although the fiero and Mr2 rip-offs would soon lead to its failed destinction).

When I drive the elise...it reminds me of driving my fiat. Responsive, sporty, and the feeling that there is no silly computer that comes between me and the car. It's a drivers car...not a couch. If I wanted a luxury sports car, I'd buy a Z4.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think the car would have to be midengined. And light.

I vote for MR-2 Spyder. If that car had 190hp.. well, it would not be an Elise, but it would be very fast.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Modern Wedgie said:
You know I voted for the X1/9, that I nicknamed "Wedgie", and my handle is "Modern Wedgie" because I believe the elise epitomizes the vision that bertone had back in 69.
I'm glad to hear that Modern Wedgie does not refer to some high-tech way of hiking-up someone's underwear. I was a little worried that we had a psycho in our midst. . . .

I agree with the realization of Bertone's vision, but I sincerely hope that the Elise has a bit more refinement (and a whole lot more power) than the X.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Glad to hear the explanation for the Modern Wedgie handle. I was curious, but too afraid to go there.

To each their own. Personally, I cannot stand to look at that X 1/9 or the Fiero, or if memory serves the TR7 - that shape just doesn't grab me. Please don't hate me. Give me an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, instead.

Plus, as we know, FIAT stands for Fix It Again, Tony! Yes, I know that LOTUS has a similar clever phrase associated with its acronym. Hopefully the Japanese influence will improve the situation.

Always wanted a Lotus Elan, but my mechanical skills are a big, fat zero, so it never would have worked out.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Failed Italian Attempt at Transportation = FIAT

The TR7 scares me too. Yuck!

The X is, hands down, the best looking wedge.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I've been wondering why the one contributing female to the board would subject herself to ridicule by naming herself after thong panties.:p

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
I've been wondering why the one contributing female to the board would subject herself to ridicule by naming herself after thong panties.:p
My handle on ICQ is "Wedgie Lover." My handle on most other chat boards is "Screamer." By now, you all should be able to guess where Screamer comes from, but I'll leave it to your imaginations anyway ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Randy Chase said:
So you are saying that Jenn does not post enough? :)
No, I have A-D-D and should think before I post. I'm sorry Jenn (if you're out there) and to any other females that may be lurking. I don't want to speak for everyone but I certainly enjoy having a womans perspective and welcome you all to join us.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Funny you left off the Europa, that would have been my vote...
Added it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Uh huh. Sure, I see how it is...... :)

I have perspectives on cars etc but Im not sure how "feminine" they are. I usually pretty much "one of the guys" when it comes to autos.....however rest assured I'll be sure to chime in if you start posting pics of naked women sitting on the hoods of Elises. :mad: :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I'll be sure to chime in if you start posting pics of naked women sitting on the hoods of Elises. :mad: :p
Because you don't like naked women or you're worried they will scratch the paint?:D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think your list needs to be upgraded. It doesn’t have any cars that actually handle like the Liz. Where are the big boys (Lambo, Ferrari and the new supercar champ, Zonda)? And no, I haven’t driven a Zonda. Come on now you didn’t even include the Boxster?

The Noble has similar handling to the Liz, as does the Pagani Zonda. Granted both these cars have much more power. While the Noble is close to the Liz in price the Zonda is more than 15 times more costly. The fact that so many people compare these high-end cars to the Liz is just more testament to it's handling prowess.

I think your list would be different if we were comparing a Ferrari 360 to another car.... But yet those in the know routinely compare supercars to the Liz.

The Elise is the current performance benchmark, no matter the price of the car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=4292

That's what makes the Liz such a bargain... Supercar handling at a fraction of the price...:)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Where's the Fiero?

The 1988 Fiero GT was a very fine machine. V6 power, fully indep suspension and a Getrag 5 spd. It was a great handling car. I co-oped at the Fiero plant as an engineering student back in the late 80s. Very innovative plant and car. The styling of that car was heads and tails better than the MR2 or X19.

I got my first speeding ticket in one! :mad:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
mapes said:
Where's the Fiero?

The 1988 Fiero GT was a very fine machine. V6 power, fully indep suspension and a Getrag 5 spd. It was a great handling car. I co-oped at the Fiero plant as an engineering student back in the late 80s. Very innovative plant and car. The styling of that car was heads and tails better than the MR2 or X19.

I got my first speeding ticket in one! :mad:
OMG, I cannot believe you even consider that a fiero is better than an X1/9.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I just recently sold my Honda S2000 and while it was a great car with razor sharp handling and 9K Redline, it was rather portly at about 2850 lbs.
Compare that to the svelte Elise at sub-2000 lbs makes the S2000 look positively "Oprah"... :eek:

How about the even lighter Lotus Super7??

·
Registered
228 Posts
How about a Porsche 914? That would be the closest car I've driven. And yes I have driven an Elise, the blue 111s demo car. Of course I've never driven any of the MR2s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts