The Lotus Cars Community banner

Do you think Lotus will increase the price of the Elise?

• Yes, I believe the after the first years production Lotus will increase the MSRP of the Elise.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Yes, Lotus will increase the MSRP but not until the 2006 car.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Yes, but it will be by dealers tied of selling at MSRP.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No, Lotus will not increase the price of the US Elise any time soon as they want to sty under $40k.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of speculation about weather or not the Elise will increase in price after the first year of production. I for one believe a price increase to be likely as the Dollar is at a very low level compared to the Pound Sterling. Of course I have no way of knowing this for sure, and while I do not favor a price increase I believe it may be a necessary move for Lotus in order to offset the decrease in potential profit caused by the current poor exchange rate.

What do you think?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I didn't choose any of your options. I expect the dollar to rebound in the next couple years, so while the price may jump a little for 2006, I think it'll come back down soon after.

EDIT: The above remark is assuming that Bush will not be reelected.

·
Registered
426 Posts
transio, I hope you didn't just open a can of worms. I really wish politics weren't introduced in this discussion. It has no place in a forum about cars, especially when it's on an issue like exchange rates, where no one can figure out if a weak dollar is necessarily a bad thing.

That said, I think it's still too soon to know exactly what will happen regarding prices. We've got several more months to go before delivery and exchange rates are always shifting, so Lotus might not have to take that much of a loss.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lotus is a very smart group of people. They looked at everything before anouncing the current pricing on the Elise.

They are not loosing money at the current rate.....They also, know that after the car breaks the magical 40K barrier a number of people will not buy the car. ( We all know that this is a 45K car but the base needs to stay below 40K or it will only hurt Lotus down the road).

My 02 cents

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I totally agree with the 40K comment. We've been hearing for so long about this demonic car for less than 40K that we've target fixated and Lotus stands to, perhaps, losse considerable business from the fans if it were to go up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts