The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
German car magazine 'auto motor und sport' reported today on their website that Lotus confirmed a base price of appr. 70,000 Euro for the Evora - available in Germany in the beginning of 2009.

Lotus Evora: Der Preis Auto + Produkte bei auto motor und sport

That would be almost 110k $, but I'm sure Lotus will offer a generous discount for US customers. :)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They better stay within 911 s price range. I need to buy that car, but need it to be under 100K. Only thing is, I think I'd wait for an SC version since I don't think anything under 300 hp is worth 100K.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
This is just my opinion here but if Lotus priced the Evora at $50K to $55K USD and produce 3,000 to 5,000 cars, I'm quite sure they would sell most of them. That would put it right smack in the price range of the Corvette, Boxster/Cayman, and all other sports sedans.

It would also leave room for the higher spec Evora to be price competitive with the 911s, Z06, GTR, etc.

The key thing would be to produce more volume for the lower price. Yes, you would loose some exclusiveness (3,000 to 5,000 is exactly mass produced) but it would help market the brand and if you want exclusive, then the Espirt is the car to get. Again, just my $.02.

·
Registered
948 Posts
this cars should not be more than 80k-85k US$...

·
Registered
407 Posts
I thought I read the specs say that it was 280 HP, on a 1350kg (2970 lbs) car. If thats correct .. then what happened to 'lightweight'? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...at $100k you're talking lamborghini money; lots of proper GT competition in that price range...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You can't go by the German pricing, ours will be much lower in cost. Check out the base price of a Porsche GT3 in Germany vs. on in the US, and you will see I big difference.

Also, the German prices always include taxes of 19% which is known as Mehrvertes Steur (the spelling is probably a bit off, my German is rusty to say the least), but even better known with the following abreviation: Mv. St. or MvSt.

Anyway, it should be no higher than $85K, but my guess is closer to $75K.

And you are all correct in saying that it better not be anywhere near the $100K mark. That simply will not work for the "paper" specs on this car; shouldn't even be a discussion.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am betting on a base price of $58k and ~$70k optioned out. That is the base of the Cayman S. :) That is where I think it should be. I know that is barely more than a Elise SC.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mid-lightweight

I thought I read the specs say that it was 280 HP, on a 1350kg (2970 lbs) car. If thats correct .. then what happened to 'lightweight'? :shrug:
I was hoping to see the curb weight much lower, but 2970 lbs ain't too bad..

Evora is still very competitive in her class:

08 Cayman S manual 2955 lbs / 295 hp =10.0 lb/hp msrp $59,100
09 Lotus Evora manual 2970 lbs / 280 hp =10.6 lb/hp price ?
08 911 Carrera manual 3075 lbs / 325 hp = 9.5 lb/hp msrp $73,500

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't go by the German pricing, ours will be much lower in cost. Check out the base price of a Porsche GT3 in Germany vs. on in the US, and you will see I big difference.

Also, the German prices always include taxes of 19% which is known as Mehrvertes Steur (the spelling is probably a bit off, my German is rusty to say the least), but even better known with the following abreviation: Mv. St. or MvSt.

Anyway, it should be no higher than $85K, but my guess is closer to $75K.

And you are all correct in saying that it better not be anywhere near the $100K mark. That simply will not work for the "paper" specs on this car; shouldn't even be a discussion.
I agree. If you compare the US and the German Lotus price lists, you will find that the prices in $ are close to the ones in EUR. For example the 'federal Elise' (our 'Elise R') comes at ~47k $ or at 45k EUR. So 75k $ to 77k $ for the Evora might be a good guess.

The current weakness of the Dollar is a serious problem for European manufacturers. They do not make enough profit and customers here might be tempted to re-import cars from the US if the gap is too large.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why the Evora will be introduced in Europe first.

BTW: Our sales tax is called 'Mehrwertsteuer' (MwSt.) and, yes, it is 19% now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
On their website I noted they are planning the "supercar" release for 2010, I think that'll be over the 100k mark.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I was hoping to see the curb weight much lower, but 2970 lbs ain't too bad..

Evora is still very competitive in her class:

08 Cayman S manual 2955 lbs / 295 hp =10.0 lb/hp msrp $59,100
09 Lotus Evora manual 2970 lbs / 280 hp =10.6 lb/hp price ?
08 911 Carrera manual 3075 lbs / 325 hp = 9.5 lb/hp msrp $73,500

The only problem with your above numbers is that Porsche is going with Direct Injection on all of their cars in 2009. The base C2 will be 345 hp and the Cayman S will be 310 I believe if not 315. They will have a price increase as they do every year (same with Lotus), but it will be probably about $1K for the Carrera and Cayman S. With only 100 lbs more weight, the C2 with 345 hp and its reputation will be hard to beat.

BUT, if they only want to sell 2,000 Evoras worldwide, then I don't see an issue. That seems like a very realistic number and I think they could probably do more.

I know that most of us on here understand power to weight ratios and also that there is a lot more to a car than just hp. But Lotus needs to think about the other buyers who they are now trying to reach. And just like the Elise with 190 hp was an issue with buyers, so will the 280 hp Evora also be a problem. If they had just been able to hit the magic 200 number with the Elise, I bet it would have helped. But for the Evora, the 300 number is somewhat critical IMO.

However, they may be doing it because a hotter version will soon follow, and if they raise the hp by just 20, the impact will be significant just because that first digit is a 3. It is all in the mind for some.

I also think they will offer a hotter Clubsport type version that will be significantly lighter. I say significantly because these days a Clubsport version by someone like Porsche means 17 lbs less weight and 7 lbs more hp, or something ridiculous like that.

If Lotus does it, I can see 100 lbs or more stripped from the car with an additonal 40 NA hp (maybe), or more if they do FI.

·
Registered
732 Posts
We are incline to argue that even at $75K we are giving the car a great amount of latitude here. The motoring press has already stated that the current car's performance will be less than the Cayman S (in 08 spec, not withstanding the 10 Hp. increase for 09) which starts at $59K. Now granted Porsche will nickle and dime you for every option, but in a well appointed car you will still be in under the Evora base asking price (and you will be faster, possibly more reliable, and with a greater dealer network).

The argument cant be made that a high performance version will be coming because they (Lotus) will charge you for that increase which will likely put the car into the mid $80K range and that is Carrera S territory (the increase in power would need to be fantastic to overwhelm those cars). Factor in cars like the BMW M3-6, Zo6, Artega Gt, Rossion Q1, the used market Noble M400s, 911 Gt3/4s, Aston Martin Vantages, Ect., and this car shapes up to be "not enough for too much asking price" despite it's looks and heritage. We are use to paying more for less with Lotus (in point of fact it's the reason we are clients) but in Evora's case it's shaping up to be more $$$ for less performance and thats not real good. These are the facts that cant be ignored when buyers begin to weigh out their purchase and ask what they are getting for their investment.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
We are incline to argue that even at $75K we are giving the car a great amount of latitude here. The motoring press has already stated that the current car's performance will be less than the Cayman S (in 08 spec, not withstanding the 10 Hp. increase for 09) which starts at $59K. Now granted Porsche will nickle and dime you for every option, but in a well appointed car you will still be in under the Evora base asking price (and you will be faster, possibly more reliable, and with a greater dealer network).

The argument cant be made that a high performance version will be coming because they (Lotus) will charge you for that increase which will likely put the car into the mid $80K range and that is Carrera S territory (the increase in power would need to be fantastic to overwhelm those cars). Factor in cars like the BMW M3-6, Zo6, Artega Gt, Rossion Q1, the used market Noble M400s, 911 Gt3/4s, Aston Martin Vantages, Ect., and this car shapes up to be "not enough for too much asking price" despite it's looks and heritage. We are use to paying more for less with Lotus (in point of fact it's the reason we are clients) but in Evora's case it's shaping up to be more $$$ for less performance and thats not real good. These are the facts that cant be ignored when buyers begin to weigh out their purchase and ask what they are getting for their investment.

Agreed. The Cayman S increase is 15 or 20 hp I believe since it is 295 and will go to 310 or 315. I will look it up to verify.

And you are definetely right about $80-85K. The new C2S is getting 30 more hp and will be at 385 hp and the torque will be more than the current GT3 (300 lb ft) with either 305 or 310 lb ft! And the base weight of the C2S is about 3130 lbs, only 160 more than the Evora but with 105 more hp and a Porsche flat six vs. a Camry V6.

Don't get me wrong about the Toyota motor, I like it and I'm fine with it, but for $85K it does become a factor and for some a deal breaker.

The problem is that we live in one of the best times to be a car enthusiast (THE best if you ask me), and there are just soooooooooo many good choices out there that it is getting tougher and tougher to compete. Don't forget that for about $70K one can buy a Nissan GTR which is making some incredible numbers and seemingly is defying physics. Well, we all know it makes more power than they claim, but I doubt you will hear complaints from many GTR owners. For once the Japanese are on the low side instead of exaggerated hp claims which has been the case a few times now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts