The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan to track my car alot. Does anyone know the price of replacement brake pads or more specifically a different pad used for track purposes? How about tires, I think I read the Ao48s were around $300 apiece. What have you Euro guys been using for pads and tires. Also what kind of oil will our car come with ?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
gerry k said:
I plan to track my car alot. Does anyone know the price of replacement brake pads or more specifically a different pad used for track purposes? How about tires, I think I read the Ao48s were around $300 apiece. What have you Euro guys been using for pads and tires. Also what kind of oil will our car come with ?

A good all around track pad that we use on all of our track Elises down under is made by Pagid. However I have found an even better pad from Germany that surpasses the Pagid's on the race track. I've done 3 24 hour races in Germany and discovered this pad while racing over there. I am trying to get it for the Elise and I should have it by early summer. The pad from Germany is a track only pad. You wouldn't want to ever drive with it on the street as it requires lots of heat to work, but boy does it stop a car from speed.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good questions, do we have any updated experience?

1) What is the price of replacement rotors and can you get them from another supplier besides Lotus?

2) Suitable track pads, types and cost?

3) R-Compound tires available? The new Hoosier R3S04 fit the rears but only 205/45-16 size for the front. Will they fit on 6.5" rims on the Elise? Also the diameter of this tire is 22.8" versus 23.6" stock. For the track it should be ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did about 7 track events last year and in that time I burned threw 2 sets of porterfield AP 109 R-4 pads ($ 184 a set). Turned my rotors down so I proboly only get a few more events out of them. Went threw a lot of ATE super blue

A set of A048s $1100 Looked for a while but counld not find any other compound in the right size in this contry.

A Rear toe link upgrade $550

So far I have put about 1500 track miles on the car and I would say its not more expensive to run than any other car , but tracking any car is expensive! My only complaint is the difficulty of getting parts.
This winter Cat bypass, Roll cage and hard top s.s. clutch line and s.s. brake lines and if I had more money the would be more mods.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've run about 2000 track miles on my Exige. I'm still on the original brake pads (Motorsport brake package with Mintex 1166 endurance racing pads). The pads will be replaced before next year. I've also been through 1.5 sets of tires (A039's and now A048's).

Other than oil changes I really haven't done any maint. Although I have something leaking from the gearbox after my last weekend - hopefully nothing serious.

So, compared to my S2000, the Exige is much cheaper to run at the track (once you get past the purchase price) in terms of consumables.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
the Elise is much cheaper to track than other cars because of the light weight. It puts considerably less stress on the car. I have about 600 track miles on mine and 1800 total miles. My tires are still in fairly good shape and the pads are perfect. I expect to get very good milage out of everything on this car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I use Mintex 1155 on my Caterham 7 for track, autocross, and the very limited street driving I do. They are just fantastic and last a long time. On the street and autocross they take a little more pressure to bite but they ahve really good feedback.
I'm with Meat on this one, Mintex are terrific brake pads.

·
Registered
528 Posts
One of the big reasons I am buying the elise is as a cost saving step. Compared to the running costs of my E46 M3 everthing is cheaper. Its too early to know the exact costs but I am sure the elise isn't going to eat 2 sets of pads, one set of rotors, and a full set of r comps in a weekend like my other car will.

·
Registered
305 Posts
MyElise said:
Has anybody tried the Ferodo DS2500 pads on the Elise? I've experienced good performance with these pads on slightly heavier cars.
The Ferodo's are great (I've been using the DS3000's on the front and DS2500's on the back of my Mini Cooper S) but leave a lot of black crap on your wheels. I'll wait to hear more from folks who've been tracking the Elise, but so far it sounds like the OEM pads are fine, even on track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts