The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been kind of quite on this front, so I’ll bring it up. Talked to my dealer late last week for a update. He gave the starting price as $38.9k, said there would be four option packages, with a brochure with the details in Dec. The only one he had info on was a touring package for $975 we get full leather, carpeting, insulated soft top, CD/MP3 player and a cargo net.

Playing the what if game… say one of the other packages (Lotus Sport Suspension) or one of the other isn’t available until 3-4 months after the introduction. Your early in line, do you give up your spot to move back and get it or live without it?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ouch.

I don't know. That would suck.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wait! I am thinking leather seat, carpet and insulated top are already standard. So what does the extra $900 touring package get?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Money in the dealers pocket. :)

If you order a car that is not available day one due to optionsets etc, you should NOT be giving up your number, but you should keep your respective placement in the the grand scheme of things. IE if you are number 4, but its a 2 month delay till optioned cars come in, and 1-3 have their cars, you should be the FIRST of the optioned cars.

Personally, I would wait for the options. If you dont you will be thinking "I wish I waited for that option" 3 seconds after the first cars with it come into the states.

Scot

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In the R&T write up they show seats with a bit of leather trim and no carpet. Really the price isn't that bad. My current two seater sports car, 13yrs ago leather was a $1k add on. The rag top to date has been a simple non-insulated. If most of the other packages are like this really would not expect there to be a delay. Sounds like alot of it we may be able to add in bits and pieces. What does concern me is the LSS package... that's a bit more complex and might see a 1-3 month delay.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I think the question we need to ask is:
--would the company and dealers TELL us of the options that are shortly down the line?
Wouldn't that compromise current sales since almost all of us would opt to wait and get LSS, etc?
This goes along with the mentality of not wanting to buy a car on its initial production run and waiting for the second year, there are always changes after comments from the field filter in. I'm keeping my fingers cross and comforting myself that it's been in production for nearly 5 years so it's not an initial production run (except new engine for fed etc.)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my experience it hasn't been unusually for certain option to appear 3-6 months after a cars intro, weather it's a auto Vs manual tranny or option packages with the manuf announcing it up front. A few months ago word was from Lotus USA that they hadn't firm up LSS as a option & if it was available there would be only a few hundred made. While LSS has been offer in the past the Fed Elise will be adding a few hundred pounds, so if they haven't firm up the specs and got the manufacturers in the pipe line yet, there may be a slight delay. It's not likely most buyer want LSS. Those that do & are early in line, if there's a delay, would need to move further back in line to get it.

There are alot of question marks about LSS- will it be offered over the entire model yr, or only for a few months & how does it preform/ride. If it's a higher demand item, will they bump production to meet demand?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
I think that the wait lists are sufficiently deep. There are plenty of people who will happily move forward on their list if that meant skipping LSS or the Touring packages, etc. I think those who want options that may not be available initially are going to have some difficult internal debates! I'll skip LSS if it is not available initially.

Frankly, I believe most of the options will be available from launch. Especially since there are so few of 'em.

Us 'early adopters' are in for initial year quality issues. I worked in the auto industry as an engineer for 15 yrs. Even though the S2 and the Celica powertrains have been in production for some time, this will be the first time they are mated together. Luckily the car is pretty simple so I think the risk is minimal. Just don't expect Honda reliability. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Surely the thing to do if there is a premium on the car is to buy it anyway, then hop back on the waiting list and sell it when the new one is available :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
DanH said:
Surely the thing to do if there is a premium on the car is to buy it anyway, then hop back on the waiting list and sell it when the new one is available :D

But then you will have to pay sales tax, registration, and license fee twice.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think most the major options will be available from the get go. I do not expect any major defects as this car has been in production for a few years already in Europe. I believe this iteration will address many of the problems that the Euro S2 has. It's not so much a new car as it is a new and improved upgraded 3.0 version of the old car.

Elise 3.0 Version Make The Switch:)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
agent.5 said:
But then you will have to pay sales tax, registration, and license fee twice.
This is probably different from state to state. In MO, you only pay sales tax on the price difference if you sell one car and buy another within a limited time frame (something like 60 or 90 days).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Derek said:
Elise 3.0 Version Make The Switch:)
Watch out for those software analogies...

[rant on]
I've yet to buy any software that was not full of bugs. The software industry is like the US auto industry from the 70s. They have no clue about quality/reliability. Maybe the competition from overseas programmers will change this?!
[rant off]

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
mapes said:

[rant on]
I've yet to buy any software that was not full of bugs. The software industry is like the US auto industry from the 70s. They have no clue about quality/reliability. Maybe the competition from overseas programmers will change this?!
[rant off]
Depends on the developing company's budget and project goals. Typically software can be good, cheap, or delivered quickly. You get to pick two out of three of those qualities. ;) Bespoke vs. ready-made software is another issue.

I work in software for a company that contracts for the U.S. government, among others. If the software is full of bugs, the implications could be great.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Whoa, nelly! Don't get me started on this topic. As the 'end user' of a number of 'high-tech' government systems, I have definitely experienced some bugs. I realize part of the problem is the procurement process, though. Old technology mixed with new technology doesn't always work so well.

Cade

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Sonny, in dah govmint, them there hardware was built by the lowest bidder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts