The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
yeah- this is a tired ass ? but what the heck.. figure what's one more, right?
Portland Lotus Dealer, Portland Lotus, Portland Lotus Sales - Tonkin

was figuring on trying to get this one for 25+tax/title/etc. Is that too low ball, it's been there for over a month now, so they would have to be some what desperate to sell... i hope
I can't tell you what to ask for the car but I know Todd and he's a good guy so just pick up the phone and speak to him. At $28K that's a good deal, $25K may be a bit low but what do I know? :shrug: Just call him, he's a good guy, no pressure :up:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Okay. Fine, I'll say it. For the longest time, there've been posts on this forum about "When wiil an 2005 Elise drop below $30K?!!" Now, one does and it's still to high?
You can ask for $25 but I doubt they'll go much lower than $27.

It may have been sitting there for a month but now that you've essentially advertised it to the other potential owners that lurk on this forum, it may not be there in another month.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not that it's too high.. just want to get a decent deal more than anything. I'm not trying to be a low baller, like I've been in the past with my other cars. Just want to pay a fair price for this car, it's pretty no frills as there's not star shield/traction/lsd/sport/track packs. Just a basic Elise.
As far as other people knowing- if it's there when I get there then maybe I'll get lucky, if not then so be it. There will be others, I'll just have to wait till I'm 35 to get one (2yrs). lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
Offer the $25k and see if the seller agrees. A fair price is any one which the seller agrees to accept. I think lots of people are in denial about how fast the values of these cars are dropping in this market. Low-balling is the buyer's duty :D.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It's not that it's too high.. just want to get a decent deal more than anything. I'm not trying to be a low baller, like I've been in the past with my other cars. Just want to pay a fair price for this car, it's pretty no frills as there's not star shield/traction/lsd/sport/track packs. Just a basic Elise.
As far as other people knowing- if it's there when I get there then maybe I'll get lucky, if not then so be it. There will be others, I'll just have to wait till I'm 35 to get one (2yrs). lol
At $28K, that's more than a fair deal and they have it priced appropriately. Regarding LSD, TC and Track Pack, those were not "options" for MY05 as it was introduced for MY06 cars on up.

Like I said before, just call Todd, you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you get that Elise for $25k, I would be surprised.

Then again, I wouldn't rule anything out. You have nothing to lose by inquiring.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How do you know it has no starshield? If it really doesn't have it, is that because it was in an accident and after repairs the starshield wasn't applied?

·
Registered
45 Posts
25k sounds reasonable as it doesn't have a hardtop. I think a lot of people on here would be surprised what these cars are actually selling for. Take a look at the "Completed Listings" on Ebay for what the cars on there are selling at.

Here's an '05 with similar miles and a hardtop selling for 26k: eBay Motors: Lotus : Elise (item 170315300516 end time Mar-31-09 20:30:00 PDT)

Lower miles, absolutely impeccable, sold after a bidding war for 28.8k (I believe someone on here once said they sell for more on the east coast for some reason):
eBay Motors: Lotus : Elise (item 220388104226 end time Apr-07-09 16:49:43 PDT)

You certainly have nothing to lose by going for 25k and walking away if they don't budge. This is the worst recession in 80 years and the dealers are desperate. Frankly, there's a lot of these cars for sale so you can always get another one!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Don't mean to hijack but I've never really used eBay except to get leads. Lets say I get the winning bid on eBay. Am I legally obligated to follow through?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...$25k out the door is slightly lowballing, yes - right now, the very lowest statistical outliers are going for that before TTL, anything less is generally a car with issues or salvage title...excepting the occasional quick liquidation, good cars these days generally start around $27-28k...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Don't mean to hijack but I've never really used eBay except to get leads. Lets say I get the winning bid on eBay. Am I legally obligated to follow through?
LOL.. so true, and I have said that many times before, an Ebay contract is as binding as oil.

But since people think that it closed it sold at that price.. LOL

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll let you all know what goes down in a couple weeks. Right now I'm talking to them about it and kind of working numbers... we'll see. I finally got the wife to say ok as long as it isn't above her threshold- so we'll see. I'm keeping my hopes low for now.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'll let you all know what goes down in a couple weeks. Right now I'm talking to them about it and kind of working numbers... we'll see. I finally got the wife to say ok as long as it isn't above her threshold- so we'll see. I'm keeping my hopes low for now.
Also, if they don't go down to $25K, perhaps you can get them to throw in or discount some accessories, options (star shield, hard top, etc) or services.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts