The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a deal done on an Exige S (details to be announced). However, I have to wait for the seller to pay off the car and get the title. According to them, it takes 3 weeks to get the title after they send the payment. It seems like as soon as the auto loan company receives the payment they can release the title and it can be done within a week. Does that sound right to you?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
It never seems to happen as fast as you'd like....at least that's been my experience. When I sold my Elise, it took forever for the buyer to get the title. He was very nice and patient about it and I felt terrible. It all worked out in the end though.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how long did it take? its agonizing:panic::panic::panic::wallbang:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
A couple weeks, if I recall...it was last August. The concern was his temporary plate was expiring and he needed the title to get a permanant plate. I got the title to him just a couple days before it expired.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you don't need the title to complete the transaction? was he driving the car all this time? my Exige to be is sitting in the seller's garage, just waiting for me to drive it.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Yes, he was driving it on a bill of sale and a temporary plate, I believe. I sold it to Kareem of Wheat, here on LT, he may be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks!

anyone familiar with California transactions?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It's the state that transfers the title at the behalf of the owner (the finance company or bank) so you are at the whim of the state. It's not the lender's fault.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
so you don't need the title to complete the transaction? was he driving the car all this time? my Exige to be is sitting in the seller's garage, just waiting for me to drive it.
Are you saying you paid for the car and don't have possession of the car and/or a title? :no:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you saying you paid for the car and don't have possession of the car and/or a title? :no:
nah.. I'm not that dumb... I just put a deposit down.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the state that transfers the title at the behalf of the owner (the finance company or bank) so you are at the whim of the state. It's not the lender's fault.
its an arizona titled car. I thought the finance company holds the title and they just have to mail it out?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Look on the CA DMV website - it has all the information. You need to register the car within 5 days IIRC and for that you need the title and smog certificate. Yes, you do have to have it smogged in CA before you can register it since it is an out of state car.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks.. I went to the dmv website and I called the number on that page. I do need the title to register the car since its out of state. I just can't understant why it takes 3 freakin weeks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
In the old days, you could (and I did) go to even a local office for Ford Finance, hand them money, and they'd go off in the back and 15 minutes later hand you a title.

These days, at least in CA, titles are held electronically and the finance copy doesn't get the piece of paper they have to keep track of. So when they get the money, they then request the title be released and sent to the owner. That's what causes the delay. :(

Steve

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, just got the car. WOOHOO!:up::shift:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
When I sold my RX-8, they put down a deposit and I paid off the car. Got the title in a few weeks just in time for them to be back in town from their trip we then exchanged the titles and funds and that was it. Luckily I have a Miata as well so I just drove that and didn't put any additional miles on the RX-8 while it was garaged waiting for the title to come in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts