The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because it will be slicker than you'd expect. The same turn you know and love will become a stranger

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tell your detailer that they are only supposed to detail the outside side wall, not the tread too. I know what you mean tho, I was playing with tire pressures and had em at 35psi or something stupid high. I had oversteer all day long

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sometimes even detailing the sidewall is a no-no depending on your tire pressure and model. Under hard cornering, the sidewall will flex and make contact with the road.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's a general common sense rule for a performance car, really. Never put silicone-based tire protectants on your tire sidewalls.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive gone to several local hand washing places in atlanta twice a month for over 2yrs now and even if my tires are not shined you will drive through puddles of soap and previous customers' tire shine. My rear end always feels like driving on ice/oil for a block or two.

My solution (or excuse) is to give a brief tire spin/slide exiting the carwash and by cruising straight for a few blocks keeping extra space in front (for panic stops) to dry the front tires. Rear slippage is typically scarier than understeer, hence the immediate tirespin on dry asphalt when exiting. I can imagine accidents when merging into traffic from the car wash if traffic is quick and heavy that day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts