The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have problems loosening the bolts for the clutch to the flywheel - they are very soft and gets damaged before loose :facepalm

I´m planning to also replace the flywheel for an ultralight. Shall I cut loose the bolts to remove the clutch, as I anyway will replace the flywheel? Will the bolts for the flywheel be just as soft and problematic?

Appreciating input :)

Cheers Tore

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Probably because you are using a wrench and not a socket...use a 6-point, not a 12-point and they will come out. An impact wrench will help too.

Just because you are asking about cutting screws, you don't know what you are doing. Don't! You drill screws.

The screws holding the flywheel to the crankshaft are very special, very tough bolts. You only use those once! If you replace the flywheel, replace those bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Probably because you are using a wrench and not a socket...use a 6-point, not a 12-point and they will come out. An impact wrench will help too.

Just because you are asking about cutting screws, you don't know what you are doing. Don't! You drill screws.

The screws holding the flywheel to the crankshaft are very special, very tough bolts. You only use those once! If you replace the flywheel, replace those bolts.
Excellent advise! in fact most suspension hardware should be one time use also. Small expenses for safety and longevity.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'd suggest you get someone with a bit more experience to help.
This is a reasonably simple job but getting to that stage is worth doing it only once, and correctly.
Six point sockets and torque wrench are a necessity.
Good luck, sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for great advise! I had to drill 5 bolts.....
I´m also replacing the flywheel, as I loosened the bolts i had oil coming out of the lowest hole - is this normal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw; It is quicker cutting the head of the bolt, if you anyway plan to replace the flywheel. Everything will come off anyway....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts