The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust on my S is a tinny bit too much to the right side direction
(passenger's side) and I dont know what to do to make it perfect straight in the middle like the OEM exhaust.

The support bracket are perfectly to their place in the rubber and I cant play with the exhaust to change his direction. It think he have been made like that with that little imperfection in it.

Should I use a torch and burn the metal bracket to melt the metal and curb the bracket to play with the exhaust and try to move it more to the left side ??:shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You may want to try a tailpipe expander on the muffler side. That will give you a little more play. Once you get it centered where you want it, torque the hell out of the clamp bolt. Otherwise, it will scoot right back over to the passenger side in a few days. I know that others have used different clamps because of this issue. Not sure what comes with yours, but that was my experience with a Stage 2.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Last night I was looking at how off mine is... it has moved over to the passenger side slowly. I was thinking of taking a rubber mallet and trying to hit the exhaust back over, but that wouldn't last very long rotfl Anything to avoid taking off the diffuser

I am curious if it is causing an exhaust leak though. There wasn't too much overlap when I installed my stage 2. Even half an inch may be causing a leak. When I take it off I guess I'll be able to tell

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one it happen! :crazyeyes

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Last night I was looking at how off mine is... it has moved over to the passenger side slowly. I was thinking of taking a rubber mallet and trying to hit the exhaust back over, but that wouldn't last very long rotfl Anything to avoid taking off the diffuser

I am curious if it is causing an exhaust leak though. There wasn't too much overlap when I installed my stage 2. Even half an inch may be causing a leak. When I take it off I guess I'll be able to tell
Doubt you have a leak. When I took my Stage 2 off, there was no evidence whatsoever that there was a leak of any kind. Regardless, you'll have to take off the diffuser to fix it. It wasn't until I torqued mine from 'seems tight enough' to about 80 ft-lbs (I thought the damn thing was gonna break) that it stopped scooting over. And, since Ace is here, there is/are thread(s) about this exact problem.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
... And, since Ace is here, there is/are thread(s) about this exact problem.
nope. i just assumed this was the umpteenth april fool's day thread. don't know what a "stage 3" exhaust is, but i guess there's a problem with this one. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
These mufflers have a tendency to "walk" to the right -- it's a function of the clamp not being the best.

Loosen the primary clamp and perhaps the hanger clamps and move (hammer and piece of wood against the can) the muffler back to the left. ;)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
These mufflers have a tendency to "walk" to the right -- it's a function of the clamp not being the best.

Loosen the primary clamp and perhaps the hanger clamps and move (hammer and piece of wood against the can) the muffler back to the left. ;)
Yep, that's the ticket. Torquing the crap out of the clamp fastener was the only way I got mine to stop doing that once I got it re-centered. Soon thereafter, I got my exhaust replaced. FWIW, the new Janspeed Stage 2 I got has a different clamp, so maybe that problem is fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts