1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading car and driver when i came across this sentance
"..... in taking care of Lotus's infamously problematic cars."
How are they problematic?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wow, you are pretty new to Lotus and British cars huh. :D Don't worry, the Elise is much better built than other Lotus cars before it. ;)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
LOTUS, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious was how they used to be known.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The history of Lotus cars is that although they were fantastic in terms of design and performance, sometimes things were not quite up to snuff. Even among the newer cars and it would be silly to think that the new Elise is going to be totally perfect.

Minor things. Electrical problems. Mirrors falling off. Roofs leaking. These were all known to previous Lotus owners.

Based on what I know, I don't expect to worry about leaking roofs. Drivetrain is a Toyota, so that is not much of a worry. Mirrors? I can glue it back on. Large rodents of unusual size? I don't believe in them.

The basic thing is... the car is a small volume, hand built car. Owning it may be a little interesting. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Such is the price you pay for keeping things light. My current car is a Toyota Supra Turbo. Engine is bulletproof to more than 800 rwhp. Nothing more serious than a hose has ever broken. OTOH, the car weighs more than 3400 lbs...

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts