The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping someone can help me, here is the summary:

Finished installing a supercharger on an 06 Exige and she idled fine for a day no CELs no drama :)

So on Friday I was driving back home and a CEL popped up, no flashing just a steady light but the car seemed and drove fine, idle still perfect at the lights, so I came home and read the codes, a P0111 and P0113.

Today I tried to fire her up, and this happens, on starting she died within a half a second, second attempt cranks over but won't start, thrid attempt barely fired up and idle is erratic and almost to the point of stalling so I turn her off.

Also when she did start the fan's up front started too???

I did de-snorkle the car today but other than that nothing?

Thanks, this is getting tiring and to the point of frustration now :(

If helps PES did the ECU tune.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Hoping someone can help me, here is the summary:

Finished installing a supercharger on an 06 Exige and she idled fine for a day no CELs no drama :)

So on Friday I was driving back home and a CEL popped up, no flashing just a steady light but the car seemed and drove fine, idle still perfect at the lights, so I came home and read the codes, a P0111 and P0113.

Today I tried to fire her up, and this happens, on starting she died within a half a second, second attempt cranks over but won't start, thrid attempt barely fired up and idle is erratic and almost to the point of stalling so I turn her off.

Also when she did start the fan's up front started too???

I did de-snorkle the car today but other than that nothing?

Thanks, this is getting tiring and to the point of frustration now :(

If helps PES did the ECU tune.

Both codes are intake related.
sec while I fish up the info.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
P0111. Intake Air Temperature Circuit Range/Performance
P0113. Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

Clean your MAF.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep I definitely cleaned out that MAf today with the MAF cleaner, plugged it back in and this is when the issue seemed to get worse?

Seriously I just put out the PES tune in my post for the hell of it :D

I need to really get this baby up and running, I haven't even had the chance to drive the car since I completed the install -eek-

Also why would the fans kick off when the cars been sitting overnight?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Also why would the fans kick off when the cars been sitting overnight?
What?

Clean your MAF again, make sure bolt and hoses are tight everywhere, clean TB, walk around the car four times, jump twice, then pat your head while rubbing your stomach in a circular motion, and get a CharlieX tune.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Which supercharger did you go with? My boss is getting his 06 Elise SCed this weekend, and he's having it done at the Lotus dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The MAF was seated properly both screws in place would the MAF also contribute to the fans turning on after the car has been sitting for several hours?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi ****,
I had exactly all the same conditions as you. Threw the same codes and the fans up front came on as well. Your set-up is the same as mine: BWR SC and PES tune.

I started a thread about it (Link: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/throwing-codes-like-confetti-73961/)

In the end this is what I did:
1. Removed MAF from airbox.
2. Cleaned with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner ($7). MAF was dirty.
3. Re-routed the MAF sensor wires so they weren't pinched.
4. Pulled each plug, inspected and re-installed.
5. Cleared codes with code reader.
6. Made 3 separate runs at full operating temperature, over a wide range of speeds, RPMs and gears.

That fixed the problem. No fans either. I did have a blown fan fuse in the forward fuse block, which I replaced.

If cleaning the MAF doesn't work, you may have to get a new one. They are pretty sensitive from what I've read.

Keep us up to date. Good luck.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wayne!

I will give that another shot today. When you mention two sensors on the MAF which ones are they, they only one I see is in the small crevice ending with a dark brown tip?

I did clean it yesterday and reinstalled it but the same issue, I'll give it another go and scan the codes again to see if they are the same....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
When you mention two sensors on the MAF which ones are they, they only one I see is in the small crevice ending with a dark brown tip?
I was referring to the 2 sensor wires. Those are what must be cleaned. I ignored the the dark brown tip.

The wires are inside the housing. You can see them, but they are not exposed. Don't touch them whatever you do.

It took about 3-4 "soakings" using the MAF cleaner to get the smut off the wires. You'll know when the wires are clean.

Here is a pic from a Toyota MAF sensor. You can see the wires I'm talking about.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
FWIW, I replaced my MAF with the latest design (new part number from Toyota). I was having off-idle response problems after the Katana install, even with Charlie's latest code. Cleaning the old MAF didn't seem to help much. The new MAF fixed it.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wayne/Francis excellent info.

My MAF has a part number of: 22204-22010 it's show Denso.

I don't see the two sensors from the pic on it? Would a typical toyotoa dealer carry the new MAF and what is the correct PN?

Here is the MAF that I have:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I don't see the two sensors from the pic on it?
If you look into the "tube" on the MAF, you will be able to see the sensor wires. You may have to angle the sensor to get a good view, but they are in there. Or at least they had better be. If not, that could be the problem. :thwack:

Very thin and short. I flooded the tube with MAF cleaner and shook it gently to get the wires clean.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wayne/Francis excellent info.

My MAF has a part number of: 22204-22010 it's show Denso.

I don't see the two sensors from the pic on it? Would a typical toyotoa dealer carry the new MAF and what is the correct PN?

Here is the MAF that I have:
I think Denso 22204-0D030 is the replacement, but your local Toyota place can certainly tell you for sure. It's for a 2003 Celica GTS (amongst others).

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll give a shot with the cleaner, I don't think I even sprayed any cleaner into that area Wayne but hopefully that'll do the trick.

The temp sensor was definitely cleaned.

I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts