The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read repeatedly here about people who have been stranded when their Elise alarm systems failed. I now have the back wall of the cockpit open, and am considering whether I should fiddle with the alarm system. I have a 2011, rather than the more common 2005, so I wonder if the alarm systems improved over the years, and removing or disabling the alarm is less important for the 2011 model year

·
Registered
169 Posts
Be careful reading about alarm systems, the 2011 has a completely different alarm (PFK) than the earlier cars (Cobra). I, too, would like to get rid of the whole immobilizer system since I live in a rural area and it is more of a problem than a help, but I have not been able to find much good information on the PFK alarms yet. I have found some documentation online, which does help a bit, though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
A percentage of everything dies.
I am not convinced that the Elise alarm is so problematic that a new alarm would not fix it.
I am bemused by the number of people that will turn their car into a 73 chevy from a theft point of view in order to prevent a potential failure, or avoid paying hundreds of dollars for a replacement part

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@SwiftFF5 Thanks so much for the info that you found. I guess I will live with it for the time being. I agree that it is not easy to figure out whether the failure rates for the Cobra immobilizers is excessive, since no one complains with it just works, year after year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yea, it sucks when it fails, and you get damaged getting towed home...

the 73 chevy has the anti theft manual transmission and the lotus had the added security of secret door key/button press and required flexibility to get in!

I should probably have just gotten it replaced, but still mine is now bypassed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts