The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what people here think about this. I had factory installed Starshield on my new 2005 Lotus Elise. I discovered over the winter that I had blue stains all down one side, and a dark gray stain about the size of a nickel on the front. I took the car to my detailer, who confirmed that the stains are embedded in the Starshield and are not removable.

The Starshield is still under warranty, but the company says that the stains were not caused by defective Starshield, so I should go pound sand.

I don't know what caused the stains, but I feel like a product that costs a grand should not be susceptible to permanent, very unsightly stains from normal road use. Whatever caused the stains certainly would not have stained the paint. And the fact that there are two different color stains indicates to me that they were caused by two different circumstances.

I would have been happy with just an offer of a discount on replacement or at least something, but their position was simply to bugger off.

I'm in Virginia. Anybody know where I can get replacement Starshield installed at a little better price?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres a good guy here in charlotte. PM me if your up for the trip, ill look up his info...
That's a 10 hour round trip and probably a motel. Thanks, but I hope I can find something closer. I'd be curious what he charges though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what it looks like

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...is there any surface abrasion, like something rubbed against it?..

...your storm titanium looks much sparklier than mine...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...is there any surface abrasion, like something rubbed against it?..

...your storm titanium looks much sparklier than mine...

No abrasion, just a stain.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I sell PPF kits for very reasonable prices and it is quite easy to install yourself. Plenty of people here have installed my kit themselves. I include instructions and a squeegee for you.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Go with SDD kit. At least that way it comes to you instead of you having to go get it
(oh SDD check your E-Mail mate)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Wheel bearing grease?
(no idea on the front one)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Saudio,

I received similar stains from grease I picked up off the road as well as tar. I was able to remove them to some degree with tar remover, but not entirely. The picture with the blue streaks definitely looks like a type of grease. You may want to first try using a citrus based remover such as goo gone..hell, even give straight up vinegar a try. Unfortunately, I rubbed hard enough to cause abrasions in my shield.

Good luck,

Krug1

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Westleys bleach white- white wall tire cleaner ($2.44 a bottle at wally world) is also great at taking stuff out of the film. Adams (a sponsor here) makes a product called "clear polish" for the film that I have also had excellent luck with and it's a great product.

By the look and color of those though it would not surprise me if those don't come out.

Krug1: I would give the Adams product a try on where you you left scuffs. I think it may get you taken care of.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
That's why I never put one on. They're ugly, turn opaque with age, Like any plastic, invariably get that dark line at the seam etc. You got your 3 yrs , just take it off and let the paints' beauty show. After a decade just repaint it. rotflFace it, they're so low to the ground that its inevitable unless you put a giant condom on the car for life!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts