The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive a Subie, like a few other people in here. Now, I don't have a problem with the Toyota inline-4, but the engine sounds tend to sound buzzy and whatnot when modified. That's why I'd like to see Prodrive's P2 in production.. and in the states.

I'd also like to imagine a Lotus with a boxer engine rumble. So instead of a loud, sometimes annoying sound, it should be more like *rumm-rumm-rumm*.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but also here's another thing to note. Boxers = lower center of gravity (but somewhat of a engine imbalance). Maybe it's just a pipedream?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
consider the packaging problem of a pancake compared to a standard inline setup.
if you'are buying mainly for sound, forget it.
both are usable engines but not always practical in the space available.
i hope you do drive a lotus and possibly buy one.
good luck, sam

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't only buy it for sound... but considering how the new Celica replacement might get a Subaru 2.0 boxer... I'm wondering if Lotus will follow suit or change engines for a new Elise/Exige equivalent.

Edit: I'd think that Lotus might benefit from a lower center of gravity... no?

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
... but considering how the new Celica replacement might get a Subaru 2.0 boxer...
Are you talking about the small RWD sports coupe being developed by Subaru and Toyota in partnership? They have announced that that car will be sold worldwide as a Subaru, and only in Japan as a Toyota. I don't think that it is a formal Celica replacement.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's gonna be like the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe... Toyota makes it under NUMMI and Pontiac rebodies and rebadges it as a Pontiac.

Toyota will make it a RWD platform and then Subaru sells it everywhere else and slaps its own badge on. It's a Toyota... made by Subaru:(

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
It's gonna be like the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe... Toyota makes it under NUMMI and Pontiac rebodies and rebadges it as a Pontiac.

Toyota will make it a RWD platform and then Subaru sells it everywhere else and slaps its own badge on. It's a Toyota... made by Subaru:(
But it's different in that the Toyota version won't be sold outside of Japan. Also, the Subaru version is going to be RWD only according to all of the rumors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts