The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Add links here.

I checked Tire Rack and they had the SSR's listed for the 'Liz. Anyone have weights for the regular wheels and the LSS ones yet?

Are our rotors the same as the Rover S2's? If so any lightwieght rotors out there?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just a word of caution about the SSR wheels. I was planning on buying a set for my MINI and was talked out of it by everyone who had any experience with the SSRs. The problem is that wheels in the ultra-light weight range should be 100% forged for proper strength. SSR claims to have a semi-forged process (SSF) for their wheels, but they are still incredibly easy to damage driving on the street. Even worse if your car has a very stiff suspension.

A friend of mine in the local Miata club offered to let me pick the best of his 8 (!!!) bent 16 x 7 SSR Comp wheels for $50 each. After pricing what it would cost to straighten them, I bought a set of forged Volk LE37s ( http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/ ) My wheels are 16 x 7 and weigh 11.2 lbs each. Coupled with Toyo Proxes T1-S tires comes out to 29.3 lbs per corner compared to the factory MINI combination of 45 to 55 lbs, depending on the wheel. The Volks aren't cheap, but you'll save money in the long run by not having to replace the SSRs.

By the way, the cheapest place I've found for the Volks is at:
Carboy
9854 Bissonnet St
Houston, TX 77036
(713) 271-9638

John

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Too bad Rays/Volk does not make a wheel with the correct offset. I contacted them at the beginning of this year and unfortunately they were not interested in producing wheels that fit our Elise.

The durability of SSRs on the Elise are still TBD.

BTW: the OEM LSS wheel and the Kodiaks are forged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts