The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk that goes something like "Lotus will sell X
number of cars the first year" or "I heard that the US will only get X
cars in the first year." I would like to point out that these statements
have multiple interpretations:
1. Lotus will sell X number of cars in the US for the first 12 months the
Elise is offered. If they start selling in May, this will be the number
of cars sold until the next May.
2. Lotus will sell X number of cars in the US for the first model year.
This interpretation then begs the question: when will the 2005 model year
end, and when will the MY2006 cars arrive?

What do people generally think is the correct interpretation, and should I
be worried if I plan to buy an Elise in the spring of 2005?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,927 Posts
This is a question I've asked a couple of time on the "official" forum, didn't get a response. My interpretation is it's for 12 months. The run of 2500-3000 would expect would be for production starting in April (May deliveries) to May 05

Looks like Lotus plans a redesign Elise for MY07 as such wouldn't expect many changes for MY06, so would look for a Sept/Oct date for those to show up. Overall the waiting list is around 2000, so unless your local dealer is unusually long you should be OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
I think that if you are hoping to drive the car in the spring of '05 that you should start thinking about putting a deposit down a couple of weeks after the LA auto show. I'll bet the line will be that long. I put my deposit down over a month ago and figure that I've still got a year to wait. #36 of 45. The agony!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My assumption is that if I put down a deposit in January or February, I can time it so that I can take delivery of the car in the spring of '05. I need that time to save some money, and I am a bit worried that most of the year's supply of cars (be it 2400 or 3000) will already have gone by that time. Plus, there is the issue of complying with all the safety regulations - I definitely want to get a car before that happens as a bigger, heavier Elise is NOT what I am interested in.

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,927 Posts
If it's a matter of timing it might want to call/check out your local dealer to see how long the list is. If the deposit isn't the problem you could put it down now. I'm sure someone behind you would be happy to trade spots, if yours came up before you were ready, pretty sure the dealer would work with you on that. (it easier to move back then to try to move up ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
I understand completely. Part of selling this to my wife was explaining to her that I'd be setting aside the $1020/mo. I'd been paying on the Miata to make a sizeable downpayment on the Elise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
NMRJock said:
I understand completely. Part of selling this to my wife was explaining to her that I'd be setting aside the $1020/mo. I'd been paying on the Miata to make a sizeable downpayment on the Elise.
How did you negotiate a deal like that $1020 a month for a Miata ?

Steve
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top