The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Project Build: Elise GT Widebody - DIY Fiberglass Mods Explained

While this project build car is a Series 1 Elise, the focus of this thread is DIY composite (fiberglass/carbon fiber) bodywork creation. So even if you own a Series 2, the processes shown directly apply to your Lotus too. Want to shave the front indicators? Create a custom splitter? Widebody flares? Here's how it's done...

Before I jump into the bodywork mods, a little background on last winter's engine conversion... the highlights.

Next post... suspension mods. Until then, enjoy a few laps around the track!

Digital Dash Designs - Lotus Elise Sport 190 w/ Acura K24 TSX - 110912 Run 3 on Vimeo

Mac out...

·
shay2nak
25,202 Posts
...and the dynos of the motor!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
...and the dynos of the motor!
There is a ton of engine conversion detail in my 'DIY Build Thread' for those interested, but it dyno'd at 262whp/187lb.ft. We attributed the numbers to a 'milder than desired cam' and a couple exhaust header issues that will be addressed this spring.

In the end, the power works well in a 1700lb car... but a supercharger is planned for this next fall.

I wanted this thread to focus more on the complete transformation, with much of the detail on the custom fiberglass and cosmetic detail. The engine conversion and suspension is intended as some background on the build.

The really cool stuff is coming!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The original interior as installed by Lotus at the factory...

I wanted to take the car more in the direction of street tuner (although it's still a track car), so I wanted to update the interior with newer equipment and comforts. I've never done composite bodywork before, so I wanted to start with a small 'practice' project before cutting into the body/fenders.

Next post... new Tillett carbon fiber seats and Schroth harnesses! Very nice!!

Mac out...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That will be one sweet ride!
Thanks. Here's a little more detail on the dash mods and my new seats. I love the way the grab you around the chest as opposed to the shoulders/arms. You feel really planted! Can't wait to get to the bodywork now...

Next post... starting the body work preparation!

Mac out...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wow, very cool stuff.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

Next post... new Tillett carbon fiber seats and Schroth harnesses! Very nice!!

Mac out...
WOW!! I need to fab a center console for the S2!! Sweet work!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I should preface this project by stating that I have never worked with fiberglass or composite materials. In short, I'm a newb and this is my first body work project. I will say that I do a ton of research and reading to educate myself before beginning a project like this. That said, I saw many ways to do this... all of which may end with a similar result. I took bit's and pieces of advice from various books/threads, but in the end applied my own engineering and creativity. There may be better ways to do this, but the pros who may keep those processes 'close to the vest' haven't shared much (that I could find), so here is the way I did it (right or wrong). Folks can judge for themselves.

Next post... Replace the single halogen light with dual HID projector beams. "I see the LIGHT!"

Mac out...

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts

I should preface this project by stating that I have never worked with fiberglass or composite materials. In short, I'm a newb and this is my first body work project. I will say that I do a ton of research and reading to educate myself before beginning a project like this. That said, I saw many ways to do this... all of which may end with a similar result. I took bit's and pieces of advice from various books/threads, but in the end applied my own engineering and creativity. There may be better ways to do this, but the pros who may keep those processes 'close to the vest' haven't shared much (that I could find), so here is the way I did it (right or wrong). Folks can judge for themselves.

Next post... Replace the single halogen light with dual HID projector beams. "I see the LIGHT!"

Mac out...
What are you planning to use for projections? I've been looking for a set but had no luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Outstanding work, very clean!! what thickness plywood did you used to make it arch?
Ahhh... I found some 1/8" plywood at Home Depot... and for free to boot. It was used to separate lumber pallets. I described what I wanted and the sales guys gave it to me. My back-up plan was Formica Laminate.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts