The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Exiged, do you remember if your axles came with castellated nuts? Or if they had that pressed on dust seal?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had sent all my axle parts to innovative to have them built. They came back ready to go. You should be reusing your original axle nut

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I sold my axles so I was a nice seller and gave them to the buyer. If you order a set of axles they should come with the axle nut and washer. I have never ordered axles and haven't received it without them if I was you I would contact them and ask them for them because they should have came with them.

·
Registered
846 Posts
At least it's solved

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well we think it's solved based on the pictures of the various parts from Innovatives site, won't know for sure until the bits show up.

Regarding the axels, the CV joints on the set we have are designed to be used with the single use nuts, so aren't cross drilled for the castellated nut and cotter pin like OEM.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I had sent all my axle parts to innovative to have them built. They came back ready to go. You should be reusing your original axle nut

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I didn't send mine in to be built. I received all new axles from Tim. And like Apex said, they weren't drilled for the cotter pin but for the one time use only nut where you hammer in the flanges. You can see a picture of it on the first page of this thread.

The original axle nuts went with the original axles I sold.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So the plot thickens. After speaking with Tim at Innovative Mounts and sending him a bunch of photos of the mount, it seems that we indeed have the CORRECT mount. We were comparing what we had to the pictures on the Innovative site. Turns out the ones on the site are outdated.

Which makes the mystery even deeper. Does that mean that there are multiple kswapped Lotuses out there running around with slightly off-kilter engines? Is my subframe somehow tweaked? I have no idea.

Either way, more exacting measurements will have to be taken and sent to Tim for investigation.

As far as the axles go, we'll probably just have to buy a few extra thick washers and stack them to make up the extra 8-9mm for the nut to sit in the proper place.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, we are going to source the washer separately. The OEM washer is only 3-4mm. And we have 8-9mm of thread to make up before the nut sits correctly.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
damn butters. That's gonna be one sick ride. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
^+1.

If you check the picture I posted earlier you'll see that the axle is not cross drilled for use with a castellated nut.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Current motor alignment measurements I just took...
Distances were measured from the exhaust manifold face on the head, just above the studs to the rear of the rear chassis cross member. It was observed that a line between these points was approximately perpendicular to the header mounting surface on the head (per the attached)
The block's left to right attitude is parallel with the chassis to within 0.1 degree, although this did require raising the drivers mount .25"

The difference between the two measurements was .125" over a distance (between studs) of 8".
The left and right mounts are about 40" apart, simple math tells us, that leaving the left mount in place, that the motors right side would have to move rearward approximately 5/8" to become parallel with the rear cross member.
0.125 / 8 = x / 40
8x = 5, x = 5/8...
Moving the motor that amount should help considerably with the passenger side's current shaft angle of 8-9 degrees, which is almost twice the drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I did not take measurements like apex_in_sno did, but I believe my passenger side is slightly skewed forward as well, relative to the driver side. I have not taken any pictures of the CV joint angles, but I'll try to do that the next time I am under the car. However, I have noticed no ill effects on driveability or reliability.

I had Tim's original mount kit for the passenger side which did not line up at all with the bracket provided. Tim insisted that this fit all the other cars he's sold the kit to and that my car's subframe must be off or had been in an accident (not that I am aware).

Because of this, the car was taken to Innovative Mount's facility where Tim fabbed an extended bracket to meet the passenger motor mount, which is the same bracket that I see on your car now (maybe Tim has changed the provided bracket now to this design on all his kits?)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ah, interesting bit of history there. Yeah, it looks like the Lotus swap kit is including those now. Thanks for posting those, 6i9. If you could take a look at your axle angles that would be awesome.

21 - 40 of 355 Posts