The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 180 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What was the purpose of this build?
autox, track, street..?

Whenever I get my car back from a shop the first thing i do is check the
wheel bolts and try to anticipate what they could have screwed up.

I guess you brought it on yourself, but man I feel really bad for you...good luck!
How can you say he brought it on himself? What a ****ing dumb ass! I'm that person that would of knocked a few teeth out of your mouth if you said that to a friend of mine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, now its about 2 weeks past the 12th, any update on numbers?? I am currently debating this swap, but I just purchased my exige and don't really have the desire to have it in downtime... yet. But this thread is killer, thank you for all the thurough R&D!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,360 Posts
How can you say he brought it on himself? What a ****ing dumb ass! I'm that person that would of knocked a few teeth out of your mouth if you said that to a friend of mine.
Yeah that was a pretty f****** stupid thing to say. Kicking Butters in the balls after all he's been through helps you how?

San

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Well, now its about 2 weeks past the 12th, any update on numbers?? I am currently debating this swap, but I just purchased my exige and don't really have the desire to have it in downtime... yet. But this thread is killer, thank you for all the thurough R&D!
Dunno if you read my last post.... The transmission blew up. Likely the ring gear. Will need to repair the tranny before getting it tuned. Project is on hold for the time being.

As for your car... Have you considered going whole hog on a BOE rev400 build? Would be cheaper and would get you 90% of the performance and likely only 0% of the headache.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
^sell it and buy m k20 turbo's elise. custom widened fenders and paint interior, etc. im buying a business so selling this and my 350z
Got your priorities straight. Good man. Any pics of your completed build before you sell it?!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
What was the purpose of this build?
autox, track, street..?

Whenever I get my car back from a shop the first thing i do is check the
wheel bolts and try to anticipate what they could have screwed up.

I guess you brought it on yourself, but man I feel really bad for you...good luck!
You like to say a lot of stupid **** don't you? This does not qualify as "bringing it on himself" but you know what does? When you spin your Lotus on a public road and total it in snowy conditions. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/sccpc11156hl30356-salvage-233249/

The tail end spun and it went face first into a snow covered earthen embankment.
The driver's door and rocker are also damaged. The suspension and frame are undamaged.
The front crash structure needs replacement. All the damage was cosmetic. There wasn't much
impact....airbags did not even deploy.

Next time you think about kicking someone when they're down, shut your god damn mouth. No one on this forum gave you **** for your misfortune (except just now) so maybe you should be more tactful. Or maybe sell your Exige before you bring anymore things on yourself you know??

Sorry to hear things haven't quite panned out yet Butters. Hang in there though, the struggle makes the finished product that much more rewarding.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Good news today, guys!

So I had my new tires mounted (Kumho RS-3's) this past week. Went to Apex's place to get the last of the mechanical stuff squared away --- mounted my airbox. All good! Took the drive home and not two minutes in and I get an intense juddering noise and motion in the car. Take the first exit of the freeway, park it, get out and inspect the wheels --- driver's side rear wheel: two nuts not even tightened. I was able to spin the nuts with my fingers. What the goddamn? Mechanics 101: torque wheels properly. I shudder to think what kind of s hit I'd have been in if my wheel flew off on the freeway.

Anyway, friend meets me with a torque wrench. Sort the wheel out. Get back on my way. Onto the on-ramp, give it some go to merge into traffic. BAM!

Something snaps.

Car starts bucking like a bronco. Flip the hazards on, ease onto the shoulder. Car is undriveable. Any gear, let the clutch out, car will buck like a bull with a bat up its ass.

Called AAA. Got it towed back to Apex's place.

Hypothesis is that the ring gear lost a tooth or two. F uck me.

Oh wait, did I say good news? I meant s hit news.

So at this point, I have my tuning appointment coming up on the 12th. It was tough to get and I had to put down a $100 deposit. At this point, I'm gonna have to blow that off. We're not going to be able to pull the tranny any time soon as Apex is moving and won't have his garage back up till mid to late August... Figure two weeks to sort the gearbox... That'll put me at September before I can reschedule another tune. Who knows if and when the tuner will have availability at that point.

So it looks like the project is f ucked yet again until further notice.

I should've known. I should've taken the gearbox to a reputable shop to have it checked out. While it's true that I couldn't have known there was something wrong with it beforehand, given how screwed the rest of the project was when I fired the shop, I should have fu cking known.

What a b itch.

Sucks man. During this repair please upgrade all the gears 1-6 with a forged gear set.
I shredded 2nd gear like instantly so it is worth doing yet expensive.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Look at all you bastards. Finishing all your fancy-ass kswaps before I do. Dunno when I'll be able to get my little car back on the road. Looking like the winter will be fully here before she is rolling again.

Which gear set would you recommend? I was looking at the Gear-X stuff a while ago but would be good to get suggestions.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Im getting a retune next week. My t1r sensor was screwy, ordered a new one and goin for a bit more boost. Pulls like a freight train at 400+whp. Butters, id goneith the gear x set. Murray runs those and they are impressive

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Not much of an update, but just wanted to share a bit of news.

I went ahead and bit the bullet on a forged gear set and ordered myself a few Gear-X goodies. Specifically, their K-Series Close Ratio Race Kit 1 and their 4.38 Final Drive.

Ratios are:

1st - 2.313
2nd -1.650
3rd -1.304
4th - 1.080
5th - 0.958
6th - 0.851

Not really loving the 6th ratio as that'll put me at about 4300rpm at 60mph. It'll be interesting to see what the hell exploded in my gearbox whenever it comes time to open it up. If the stock 6th is still intact maybe I'll keep that in there so I can cruise more comfortably on the freeway.

I had a quick thought about springing for an MFactory helical LSD but thought that maybe I should on it.... Dunno... Maybe I'll regret that, too.

161 - 180 of 355 Posts