The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been taking my Elise to pick up groceries with the curbside pickup service during the COVID shutdown. I’ve realized that the boot’s prop rod operation is clearly not obvious to everyone. I hadn’t had any issues the first four or five times I picked up groceries, then recently the guy loading the groceries went to try to close the hatch and bent the prop rod. I was able to bend it back without any problems. Then I took it again this weekend, and it happened again (different person). Clearly I have to tell people to let me be the one to close the hatch.

I’m sure others learn this long ago, or never even considered letting anyone else do it in the first place. Live and learn :)

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Similar problem here. I bought the GRP gas strut. Works great.

The other good benefit of using the Elise to pick up dinner is the food always stays warm back home.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have the GRP gas strut too. I consider it one of the best accessories I've added.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the GRP gas strut too. I consider it one of the best accessories I've added.
I’ve seen that on GRPs website, and it seems like a good idea. I tend to prefer keeping things stock, but the gas strut may also reduce the chance of someone damaging something more than the prop rod. I was glad they didn’t push down too hard on the edge of the hatch cover (rather than on the middle by the key) and damage the fiberglass. Maybe that’s why the rod is flimsy - Saves weight and prevents you from being able to push too hard on the wrong spot?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I’ve seen that on GRPs website, and it seems like a good idea. I tend to prefer keeping things stock, but the gas strut may also reduce the chance of someone damaging something more than the prop rod. I was glad they didn’t push down too hard on the edge of the hatch cover (rather than on the middle by the key) and damage the fiberglass. Maybe that’s why the rod is flimsy - Saves weight and prevents you from being able to push too hard on the wrong spot?
Honestly it only weighs a little more and is so convenient. Opening and closing the trunk is now a one hand operation and there is less chance of damage. I may actually have a used one, I'll have to check. Another good option is the Sector 111 Lid Bone. I have a used one of those too but I don't like it as much as the GRP. It is lighter though and is a better alternative to the "Rod".

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Greg's strut is a great little add on. I picked one up as a group buy when he first came out with it years ago. Such a simple little mod that makes a difference, unlock and the deck lid slightly pops up making it super easy to grab. It also helps prevent the chip damage that you see on a lot of Elise roll bar covers where they smack the lid into it from raising too high.

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
You shouldn't let anyone put groceries in your Elise, let alone let them try to close the hatch. Tip them and tell them you'll take care of it.

San

·
Registered
62 Posts
To each his/her own, but I really like the stock prop rod. Closing is easy...just drop the lid from about six inches and it latches nicely, with the seal making for a soft landing.

Reminds me of a 914 quirk on opening the engine cover. Its torsion springs are pretty strong, so you quickly learn to put a hand on the cover while pulling the release (in the door jamb) so it doesn't fly up and cause a racket.

Fun point of 914 trivia...it was the first production Porsche to use coil springs (rear) in the suspension, necessitated by the mid-engine layout; fronts are 911-style torsion-bar struts.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You shouldn't let anyone put groceries in your Elise, let alone let them try to close the hatch. Tip them and tell them you'll take care of it.

San
That's probably wise. I want to enjoy and not be afraid to use the car, and everyone has to decide where to draw the line and what they're comfortable with. I suppose a good line to draw though is where there is a decent chance of damage, and letting other people operate the hatch is apparently a good chance of damage. E.g., if I decide I won't take it to the store anymore, seems like a bummer and lots of missed nice drives. Not letting others operate the hatch is a reasonable compromise though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts