The Lotus Cars Community banner

Do you support the new pay-per-mile tax proposed?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Actually the event was held in Texas, but this is a national idea.

Both these guys have to be voted out of office for suggesting something as stupid as a tax per mile based on vehicle tracking. The government has consistently shown that it can't be trusted with that kind of data.

It looks like the value of my Exige just went up! For sale: Rare 2006 Lotus Exige WITHOUT vehicle tracking: $100,000.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Didn't vote because the choices, while amusing, didn't fit.

Do I think the government is too big? Way too big?

Yes.

Do I think we pay too much in taxes?

Absolutely.

Do I agree with a tax per mile.

In theory, yes. If we must tax, user taxes are one of the better ways to go. Let those who play/pay.

Government is involved in way too many things that its founders really did not intent (I think). Maintaining a functioning infrastructure (energy access, roads/bridges, water access), safety (fire/police/emergency responders), protection of borders, and education are probably the four things the government should focus on, and there is some argument that it should keep its nose out of education.

So, user tax for roads? I wouldn't like it, but as long as the money WAS used to maintain roads and bridges exclusively (which of course it wouldn't), I'd be ok with it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Do I agree with a tax per mile.

In theory, yes. If we must tax, user taxes are one of the better ways to go. Let those who play/pay.
Doesn't the gas tax already accomplish that goal?

·
Registered
856 Posts
The government is afraid that it will be losing out on gas tax revenue when more alternative fuel vehicles hit the road.
Most politicians think that everything belongs to the government and they are kind enough to let you keep some money for yourself. I wish we could vote them ALL out of office.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
How about NOT SPENDING THE MONEY THE GOVERNMENT ALREADY GETS ON SO MUCH STUPID STUFF???

Then there would be plenty of money for improved/added highway capacity.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
How about NOT SPENDING THE MONEY THE GOVERNMENT ALREADY GETS ON SO MUCH STUPID STUFF???

Then there would be plenty of money for improved/added highway capacity.
The list is long. I'll just preview the STUPID STUFF from the Fed:

War in Iraq
Military bases all around, like Germany, where they are good for very little
Social Security
Medicare
Housing and Urban Development
War on Drugs
Dept. of Education

I think that's the biggies.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

War in Iraq
Social Security
Medicare
War on Drugs
Dept. of Education

+1

How about we stop exempting SUVs from the gas guzzler tax so that way people either stop buying them or manufacturers are forced to make LIGHTER, more fuel-efficient ones...

That would put a hell of a lot less wear on the roads!
To play devils advocate a little, they actually do pay extra tax because they use lots more fuel and obviously each gallon is taxed. I am not sure ANYONE should be charged the gas-guzzler tax. The problem is too much spending, not that we're not paying enough taxes.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I like how in the poll you can track our votes. ;)

Any road usage tax should (if implemented) be based on mileage and vehicle weight. Odometer readings at license renewal time and gvw could give them the cost of my license renewal. There's no way a motorcycle should pay the same as a cement mixer. While local, state and federal governments always spend our money on "stupid" things, they still somehow get a lot done with our tax dollars...those tax dollars have to come from somewhere.

I'm not a fan of the big brother tracking method. That's why I'm happy to have a low-tech '05.

Tom

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like how in the poll you can track our votes. ;)

Any road usage tax should (if implemented) be based on mileage and vehicle weight. Odometer readings at license renewal time and gvw could give them the cost of my license renewal. There's no way a motorcycle should pay the same as a cement mixer. While local, state and federal governments always spend our money on "stupid" things, they still somehow get a lot done with our tax dollars...those tax dollars have to come from somewhere.

I'm not a fan of the big brother tracking method. That's why I'm happy to have a low-tech '05.

Tom
Yup! :up:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Road taxes are typically not diverted to road funding anyways, at least not in CA. So until they start putting money where they should do.. they're not getting anymore from me.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
While local, state and federal governments always spend our money on "stupid" things, they still somehow get a lot done with our tax dollars...those tax dollars have to come from somewhere.
Yes. Those tax dollars already come from everywhere. Why should they keep looking for MORE tax dollars?

xtn

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
They are already trying to do this crap in London. There was talk about charging people per mile to use the M25, and to use GPS to track cars. I think it is totally possible they could enforce it. They already have stupid congestion charging, this isn't that far off. Not to mention they already have a road tax on top of that.

There is no way in hell people would stand for it here.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yes. Those tax dollars already come from everywhere. Why should they keep looking for MORE tax dollars?

xtn
That might just be part of every politician's gentic makeup, I think.

But I'd guess their concern is that they'll be caught without a fall back plan should alternative fuel sources and/or public transportation use sudenly become the rage and they find themselves with a gasoline tax shortfall.

Tom

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
My favorite is when politicians say a tax needs to go up because of inflation when it's already based on a percentage of the sale.:wallbang:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
yes they do, except for commercial vehicles. the tax collected is disproportionate to their "use" of roadways. by use, i mean they consume much more of the useful life of a roadway per mile travelled compare to passenger autos. a 100,000 rig getting 6 mpg uses more of the roadway than a 4,000 lb pax car getting 24mpg.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

War in Iraq
Social Security
Medicare
War on Drugs
Dept. of Education

And Homeland Security. They still owe me a tube of toothpaste.

·
Registered
331 Posts
As a native Texan, I safely bet this scam will never fly in Texas. This and any mention of a state income tax is political suicide for any Texas politician.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts