The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting a full set of c/f bits for the exige,door sills,door pulls,door trim panel ,engine covers,sidepods,dash pod etc etc

Just curious of opinions from people who have this stuff what the pros and cons are of matte v gloss

Upon first thoughts,id presume the gloss stuff is easier to repair if scratched or nicked as you can just cut and buff and the matte looks more natural than fake

What are your thoughts ?????????

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Anything gloss will reflect - glare! My rule of thumb, anything outside is gloss (looks nice and shiny), anything inside the car is mat. Even though there is no problem in the engine compartment with glare, it's still mat back there to maintain the motif.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I know some like the glossy look inside but the reflation can be annoying. I would go with matte inside the car and gloss outside and in engine bay.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
is that carbon one(?) John's spark cover? Did you replace the badge on the oil cap with a black one? haven't seen that before. Looks nice overall.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is the matte finish still coated/sealed, or it it just raw carbon fiber? I hear raw carbon fiber will yellow over time from UV exposure on the resin.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Cosmetically, gloss shows fingerprints (but can be wiped easily), shows scratches (but can be polished if need be), and is very reflective (a no-no for the dashboard). Matte hides scratches better, but can't be easily repaired (as gloss can be polished).

A matte interior is far less distracting IMO. The glare of street lights, etc. bouncing off of glossy CF isn't fun.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
is that carbon one(?) John's spark cover? Did you replace the badge on the oil cap with a black one? haven't seen that before. Looks nice overall.
No it is from HKFEVOR and then I added some polished aluminum decals with matching oil cap decal :D

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Is the matte finish still coated/sealed, or it it just raw carbon fiber? I hear raw carbon fiber will yellow over time from UV exposure on the resin.
The matte finish has something on it and it is not dry/raw CF.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS GUYS
Have decided matte for the interior parts is the way ill proceed :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts