The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am not new but this is my first new-thread post. I am a US soldier that just returned from 15 months in Iraq. I have been following this website for months while deployed and finally registered in APR 09. I am interested in purchasing a new or low-mileage 2008 Exige S240 (2008 to save some $$$$). I have a 93 Toyota MR2 (my 1st "war trophy" which I bought new after returning from the war in Panama, and still love) and a 2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson (my 2nd "war trophy" also purchased new after returning from Iraq in 2003) so am not concerned about a "daily driver". I am curious about several other things. First-Reliability. I know that negatives always seem to post more than positives on any subject, but is there an EXPECTATION that something annoying/expensive will go wrong with the car? Second-The car is very light. Will a LSD or traction control help with traction in bad weather or are these really only for track use. Third-Will adding aftermarket sound-proofing help decrease the sound in the driver compartment. Fourth-I will consider a low-mileage 2007 but dont like the short air intake. Can a 2007 be fitted with an S240 roof (full length intake). Fifth- Is the extra 20HP in the S240 REALLY that noticeable when driving it (compared to the 220HP 2007 S) and worth the extra $$$$? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
1. Yes, something will go wrong with the car. Your odds are decent that it will only be a loose screw inside the door, but some people have had worse.

2. Traction control may help in bad weather, although you could achieve almost the same result by being gentler on the throttle pedal. LSD arguably might make things worse in bad weather.

3. Sound deadening? Sure, if you put enough material in, and you put it in all the right places, it will make the cabin area quieter.

4. Yes, the roofs are interchangeable.

5. I can't answer the horsepower question.

xtn

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have just started looking into the Lotus family of cars.

First thing I would say is make sure you are comfortable getting in and out of the car. I drove an Elise SC and the engine noise was not that bad. That being said, if you don't want to here the noise, you probably wont like the way the car drives. It is an experience and the noise and feel are part of that.

For me, this car is about stress relief. Not going out and driving fast, just going out and being in touch with the car. The sound and feel is what makes that a reality.

As far as the traction control. From what I have gathered, the traction control is not what you would expect from an everyday car. It only kicks in when you are really pushing the car. Sounds like this would help if you were on wet roads, but unless you are going to take the car to the track and push it hard, I don't think it is necessary for this car.

Again, I am very new to Lotus. If I am way off base, I hope someone will correct me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Reliability: For the most part, it's a Toyota nuff said.

LSD: I have the LSD on my Exige 220 and rarely use it or traction control on the street

Sound proofing: Between the blower whine and the tires, it can get loud. I wear earplugs on long trips so I show up fresh as a daisy. I'm not convinced extra sound deadening will make it much quieter, but it does add weight.

Cup Roof: I have a cf cup roof on my S220. Fits perfect, but I haven't swapped the headliner from the stock roof, which just adds to the cabin noise levels. I love the aggressive look of the cup roof and who doesn't like carbon fibre.

HP: With a little work, the aftermarket can do much better per $$ spent.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Reliability: For the most part, it's a Toyota nuff said.

LSD: I have the LSD on my Exige 220 and rarely use it or traction control on the street

Sound proofing: Between the blower whine and the tires, it can get loud. I wear earplugs on long trips so I show up fresh as a daisy. I'm not convinced extra sound deadening will make it much quieter, but it does add weight.

Cup Roof: I have a cf cup roof on my S220. Fits perfect, but I haven't swapped the headliner from the stock roof, which just adds to the cabin noise levels. I love the aggressive look of the cup roof and who doesn't like carbon fibre.

HP: With a little work, the aftermarket can do much better per $$ spent.
+1 on everything except 'who doesn't like CF.' Me! I have a CF cup roof on my S220, which I promptly had professionally painted body color!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Hello. I am not new but this is my first new-thread post. I am a US soldier that just returned from 15 months in Iraq. I have been following this website for months while deployed and finally registered in APR 09. I am interested in purchasing a new or low-mileage 2008 Exige S240 (2008 to save some $$$$). I have a 93 Toyota MR2 (my 1st "war trophy" which I bought new after returning from the war in Panama, and still love) and a 2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson (my 2nd "war trophy" also purchased new after returning from Iraq in 2003) so am not concerned about a "daily driver". I am curious about several other things. First-Reliability. I know that negatives always seem to post more than positives on any subject, but is there an EXPECTATION that something annoying/expensive will go wrong with the car? Second-The car is very light. Will a LSD or traction control help with traction in bad weather or are these really only for track use. Third-Will adding aftermarket sound-proofing help decrease the sound in the driver compartment. Fourth-I will consider a low-mileage 2007 but dont like the short air intake. Can a 2007 be fitted with an S240 roof (full length intake). Fifth- Is the extra 20HP in the S240 REALLY that noticeable when driving it (compared to the 220HP 2007 S) and worth the extra $$$$? Thanks for the input.
Hmmmm, I don't know if this site is big enough for 2 Dr. Slaughters.:no:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I concur with the answers above regarding the roof fitment and sound deadening.

Regarding the 20 HP difference between an 07 220 and 08 240; I doubt you will notice it during regular driving. What is more noticable is the quality upgrades. There are some features between the 2 which you may find better/worse - depending on your perspective. For example, the 08 240 has larger brakes. These brakes are overkill for the street - they can make a noise and be hard to be gentle with - they like to grip and stop. I have had a hard time transitioning to them but think I am getting the hang of it. If you are not used to 07 and earlier brakes - you may have less to overcome than me and not be aware of the difference - but the new brakes are a little excessive for street use in my opinion. The shifter is also better in the 08 and overall the car will seem tighter. Lotus did some kind of quality enhancements which were relatively minor but seem to have a big payoff in feel. Again if you aren't accusomed to 07 and earlier, you may not notice this.

I have had a 06 Exige and went to an 07 Exige S - there was a noticable power difference and the dynamics of the two engines are entirely different. I have now gone from an 07 Exige S to an 09 Sport 260. I notice the difference in power (roughly 38) and less weight. It's something different alright. I cant say I noticed a power difference between an 07 and an 08 - especially during regular driving conditions. Perhaps on the track it may be evident.

The LSD, I do not think this will help you in inclement weather conditions. In fact, it may hurt you. Lotus uses a different kind of LSD on these cars. My 06 had LSD, My 07 did not and my 09 does. There are many reports of those who have suddenly lost control in rain due to the LSD.

·
Registered
821 Posts
1. Yes, something will go wrong with the car. Your odds are decent that it will only be a loose screw inside the door, but some people have had worse.

xtn
Funny you say this. I just had to remove my pass. door panel. one of the 2 screws holding the window stuff to the door fell out:eek:
5 mins and some blue loctite, that won't be an issue again!:cool:

and "that annoying rattle" is gone!

OP. why worried about inclement weather? you have 2 other cars....curious.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Exige questions

I think that I can tell you what several of my clients have mentioned. The LSD will probably not help you very much in inclement weather, that really was net its designed purpose, as several others have stated. I have a couple of clients who drive their vehicles year round and for them the biggest difference is rubber... in this case dedicated winter tires.
As to the question about the power difference, from my limited experience, you will probably not notice the extra 20 hp unless you run the car hard, on track etc. You would be better off to find an S rather than an S240 unless you run into a great bargain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ones a car and the other is a motorcycle. I live in the desert in Texas. When it rains or (rarely) snows the roads are very slick. The MR2 is very light and I can only drive about 50 mph before I can feel it begin to hydroplane. In the snow about 5 mph or less. Not a bad thing to drive slower in inclement weather, but I thought that maybe the traction control or LSD could give me a bit more control even at slower speeds. MY Harley.....well I am very judicious about when I ride it. I do not ride it in bad weather, when tired, or when I think I will have to ride it at night. Lessens the chances of accidents. I will likely not take out the Lotus if I KNOW the weather is going to be bad but...hey S--- happens.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My MR2 is a mid engine also. At speeds up to about 65mph the noise is tolerable, sometimes relaxing (nice engine hum), but over that it becomes rather annoying and I have to wear earplugs on long trips. Since the engine compartment of the Exige is encapsulated and only separated from the driver by a piece of glass, I was thinking that it could be louder than my MR2 at low speeds. Guess I'll have to perform a few test drives and find out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To all that have responded and will repond to my questions in the future A VERY HEARTFELT THANK YOU!!!! I have wanted an exotic since I was a teenager. My first love was a Lamborghini Countach back in the 70s. I fell in love with the Exige just before I left for Iraq 15 months ago. I have been researching it for months and am patiently but aggressively looking for the one that is right for me. Your input is highly appreciated and will help me to decide. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Funny you say this. I just had to remove my pass. door panel. one of the 2 screws holding the window stuff to the door fell out.
It's not funny really. It seems to be the single most common issue. I'd bet at least 60% of the forum members have encountered this.

xtn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts