The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a recent interview:

He believes, however, that he took part in F1’s “golden years” and that these days are over.

“There is less overtaking and more strategy. Everything happens on the pitwall and the drivers just go.

“We had to save the brakes and the gearboxes, and monitor fuel consumption, but now it has all been organised by the starting grid,” Prost said.

“I experienced the golden age, but there were crashes, deaths. The drivers today are in a golden age of safety.”

Since leaving the paddock, Prost has concentrated on racing in the Andros ice-racing series, as well as supporting the burgeoning career of his son Nicolas.

__

This adds validity to my theory that "safety" may actually be killing motor racing. The cars and the tracks are now "bland" all in the name of safety.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
But Stirling Moss says he was in the golden age of F1, when there were no seat belts, he wore a polo helmet and they got paid in cash at the end of the race. And Stirling apparently didn't mind the occasional death-the imminent danger is what made it exciting for him, he says...that and the girls.

He'd probably think Prost's time period was way too safe.

The only times I have seen elder statesmen in a sport say "It's better now" on a regular basis are when former football players and tennis players are interviewed. To a man, in a recent interview with players in "The Greatest Game" (the 1958 Giants-Colts championship), they said "We'd get killed now-the players are better and the game is way better to watch."

I personally like knowing that the drivers today are fairly safe in their cockpits. It even might encourage them to try something exciting once in awhile. Maybe with the rule changes, this is the year for some overtaking on the course, rather than in the pits.

Tom

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Precisely why we need to revive Formula Libre racing.
See my sig.
:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But Stirling Moss says he was in the golden age of F1, when there were no seat belts, he wore a polo helmet and they got paid in cash at the end of the race. And Stirling apparently didn't mind the occasional death-the imminent danger is what made it exciting for him, he says...that and the girls.

He'd probably think Prost's time period was way too safe.

I personally like knowing that the drivers today are fairly safe in their cockpits. It even might encourage them to try something exciting once in awhile. Maybe with the rule changes, this is the year for some overtaking on the course, rather than in the pits.

Tom
I don't care to agree or disagree with his "Golden Era" claim, but I would bet we can all agree that F1 was a lot more exciting during his era.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I did like it when refueling was not allowed during the races. It did add something to the driver's smoothness. This is where Prost was the "professor."

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
the composite engineering of my bike was done by prost, big fan :up: one of the last projects his F1 engineering team did was my bike :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts