The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like to buy a sets of Bilstein but money is tight at this time.

I settled buying Protech adjustable for now. I will try my luck with this units.
Just cost $490. + the spanner.
Front spring 300 lbs & rear is 350 lbs . I will install and align it & I will let you know if its any good.

·
Registered
860 Posts
whre did you get them? SJSprortscars? That seems liek a lower price than SJS sells them for? Did you get new springs too or are those stockers?

Can't wait to hear what you think of them. I was considering ordering a set on Friday afernoon until I looked at the time and realized the SJS was already closed for the weekend.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
They look fully adjustable which is a nice feature. I like to be able to get the stance just right with adjustable perches, and you don't have that luxury with the much more expensive Bilsteins.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I got it from Mr. Steve Roberts -- they are all brand new.
As I mentioned, 300 front and 350lbs rear spring

I don't remember the stock spring lbs for V8 but he recommended that spring

·
Registered
860 Posts
exactly lotusespritse,

the Bisltein/Eiback setup sounds perfect except for the ride height issue. I hate the way the esprit looks at stock height. At some angles, my esprit looks like it is ready to mudding! as the English would say, it does not look "proper."

·
Registered
390 Posts
$490 for the entire kit? If so then wow!!! that's an awesome price. I just bought my Spax from JAE and they were almost $1000 without springs or spanners. I'm installing them with the stock springs. Let me know how yours ends up. I might have to ditch the Spax and go with your setup.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$490 for the entire kit? If so then wow!!! that's an awesome price. I just bought my Spax from JAE and they were almost $1000 without springs or spanners. I'm installing them with the stock springs. Let me know how yours ends up. I might have to ditch the Spax and go with your setup.

·
Registered
860 Posts
ahhh.... 485 British Pounds. That sounds more like it. Still a good deal though.....that's about $755. how much was the FedEx shipping? there's no shipping charge on that invoice.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I liked the dollar price better...

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
395 Posts
Bound and rebound adjustable?

Are the Protech shocks adjustable for both bound and re-bound or is there a single adjustment only (in addition to the ride height adjustment)?

Knut

·
Registered
860 Posts
Are the Protech shocks adjustable for both bound and re-bound or is there a single adjustment only (in addition to the ride height adjustment)?

Knut
those look like single adjustables. The protech duals have 2 knobs on the shock body.

these are protech duals:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Update please!

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
49 Posts
I fitted these to my Esprit Turbo MY88 two years ago. The springs were much softer than the originals, so after a few months I cleaned up the old ones and put them back on, but the Protech dampers have been OK. It took a while to get the correct settings but I have not adjusted them now for over a year and am happy with them. They seem to be very 'stiff' when cold at the start of a drive, but once warmed up settle down nicely.

The single adjusting screw seems to adjust both bump and rebound at the same time. Also to adjust ride height, you will need to lift the weight of the car off each wheel in order to turn the big adjusting ring.

I also found the guys at Protech to be very helpful too, but they respond better to phone calls than emails so if you need help/advice call them first.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I fitted these to my Esprit Turbo MY88 two years ago. The springs were much softer than the originals, so after a few months I cleaned up the old ones and put them back on, but the Protech dampers have been OK. It took a while to get the correct settings but I have not adjusted them now for over a year and am happy with them. They seem to be very 'stiff' when cold at the start of a drive, but once warmed up settle down nicely.

The single adjusting screw seems to adjust both bump and rebound at the same time. Also to adjust ride height, you will need to lift the weight of the car off each wheel in order to turn the big adjusting ring.

I also found the guys at Protech to be very helpful too, but they respond better to phone calls than emails so if you need help/advice call them first.
I spoke to Steve at SJS about the setup for pre-s4 Esprits and he said you could go with the either the SE or the S4 setup. HE said the S4 setup has firmer srpings.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts